Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else had this problem with memory??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else had this problem with memory??

When i first installed Civ IV it ran great on medium graphics setting, but about a week ago i started it up & got a message saying the setting had been automaticly changed to low because of not having enough memory?!?! I also found that the map has large sections that stay black even if one of my units are there! I have not installed any new programs or hardware in the weeks since this problem began. I am complete at a loss as to why this is happening.

I've ran my spyware program, lowered my system restore memory allocation setting, gone through msconfig to make sure nothing i didn't need was starting up that i didn't need, but none of it made a difference!

Does anyone have any possible solutions for this very frustrating problem???

My system info.......
    -Pentium 4 2.99 GHz
    -1.0 GB Ram
    -not sure what video card i have, but if it worked fine before why would it suddenly not?

Someone told me that it's possible to go into the windows task manager & close most of the processes prior to playing a game. Is that true & if so, which processes should i not stop?

It's strange that this would start happening without anything having changed.

You can go into task manager to stop processes. Stop things like qttask, realsched, acrord32, ituneshelper, ipodservice, anything else that you can attribute to some program that you know you won't need while playing Civ. Leave whatever you don't recognise (especially winlogon, lsass, svchost, smss, csrss).

Also check your page file - set it manually to 2.5x your physical RAM.
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Thank You for the reply, but a few questions.....

Is my physical RAM the same as my listed RAM of 1.0 GB or is it slightly off what's stated like processor speed is?

Currently my page file is at 1536 MB so your suggesting i change it to 2500 MB, right? and if so, should i defrag as suggested in an earlier post?

Comment

Maybe set it to 2000mb (1gb is probably high enough that you don't need to go all the way up to 2.5x).

Defragging is always a good idea, but I'm not sure it'll help too much in this case.
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Do you have the new version installed? 1.61 makes the game much more efficient memory-wise.

Comment

I had a similar problem when I got the game:

There's a line about 1/4 of the way from the left edge of the world map where when a unit crosses the line, it does not appear to clear the black fog. But, if I center the map somewhere to the left of the line everything looks fine, and the unit has cleared the fog.

I don't know what caused it, but it was very annoying. On the axis-turned map, the line was horizontal and if the map was centered below the line, you couldn't see anything above it. The game was unplayable. Also the fantasy map was unplayable.

I ended up replacing my hard drive for unrelated reasons and reinstalled a lot of stuff including Civ4 and I changed my virtual memory settings. The problem seems to have gone away.

Alas I don't have any real explanation or idea what fixed it, but I wish you luck.

Comment

Thanks for the replies!

I did find a link at another Civ IV forum for a web site (i don't remember the name) that analized your PC for compatability for specific games and when i did mine specificly for Civ IV it said the problem was due to my Video Card. Of course my Video Card is a basic dell model (i believe it's actually one level up from the most basic they offer) rather than a nice one.

So I guess I should be thinking of upgrading my VC, but what do I need to consider when buying one as far as compatability with both my Dell PC as well as Civ IV?

Comment

I just tried the "Yahoo: Answers" at Yahoo and am a little disappointed at 2 of the replies I got to the question "How can i find computer video cards that are compatable with my Dell PC?".

The 2 answers were.......

"You poor sole you. This is why you never ever buy a budget PC. It doesn't have an AGP or PCI-E slot so you can't add a very modern graphics card. You can add a PCI graphics card though the absolute best you are going to do in that area is a Geforce FX5500 all in all a horrible card for gaming. If you're expecting to be able to play games like FEAR and Crysis, I'm afraid you're out of luck."

AND

"Probably PCI. Dell inrtegrates the video into the motherboard so you will have to disable it thru the BIOS Setup before installing your video card. Verify this by opening the computer and see if theres only WHITE connectors. This means ONLY PCI."

in regards to the second question, I'm not at home to look at the mother board right now so I don't know if that answer would apply to me

Comment

Originally posted by LakeTahoeGuy
                  So I guess I should be thinking of upgrading my VC, but what do I need to consider when buying one as far as compatability with both my Dell PC as well as Civ IV?
                  As long as your Dell has an AGP or PCI-Express slot for a new video card, you don't have to worry about compatibilty on that end. And don't think about Civ 4 when thinking about a new vid card, go beyond that. The game has pretty low specs compared to many of the new ones coming out on the market. Think of at least a Nvidia 6600/6800 or a Radeon X800. Those are both more than you need for Civ 4, but just enough for Elder Scrolls: Oblivion.

Comment

My dell laptop has all sorts of fruity graphical glitchs like the ones described, and occasionaly drops me out of the game when a leader tries to contact me, giving me an out of video memory error.

I blame dell video cards, but mostly I just blame dell
                    Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Originally posted by Snotty
                      My dell laptop has all sorts of fruity graphical glitchs like the ones described, and occasionaly drops me out of the game when a leader tries to contact me, giving me an out of video memory error.

I blame dell video cards, but mostly I just blame dell
                      True. Dell is teh suxxors!!

LakeTahoeGuy, you might try to re-install the whole system and Civ IV. Start with a clean slate so to speak. This is a very cumbersome, but often successful, way to solve the problem
                      I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Actually it may just be the current game has been corrupted. Has this happened on several starts?
                        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

I try not to do laptops, generally underpowered in goodies and power supply

Dell XPS 600 desktop, not one issue

runs like a champ
                          anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

I'm using a Dell desktop 5100 series, with 1G RAM, and no reall upgrades, and CIV runs fine!
                            I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Don't forget to check if your power supply can handle the video card you think about buying, otherwise you will have problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X