advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice

Hi people. Just a quick question about the war aspect. I have played two games on civ 4 recently, with two opponents. Both times i completed the game without anyone declaring war on me. Is this normal? When I used to play civ 3 the opponents would always declare war toward the end of the game. I was well in front and won both games, so I would have thought the ai would have tried to somehow snatch victory in the dying moments.
    kev

Unfortunately, it is quite normal. Best advice is to declare war on everyone else to counter their not declaring war on you.
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

It's not normal for me. It all depends on the game and difficulty level- and your military size. If you are playing warlord or below, it doesn't happen all that often. anything above warlod, and they will declare war on you, because they most likely have a larger military than you, and think they can stomp you.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
        Unfortunately, it is quite normal. Best advice is to declare war on everyone else to counter their not declaring war on you.
        "Dumb people are always blissfully unaware of how dumb they really are."
        Check out my Blog!

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
          It's not normal for me. It all depends on the game and difficulty level- and your military size. If you are playing warlord or below, it doesn't happen all that often. anything above warlod, and they will declare war on you, because they most likely have a larger military than you, and think they can stomp you.
          Happened in my game now, he was really wrong!
          "Dumb people are always blissfully unaware of how dumb they really are."
          Check out my Blog!

Comment

If you want to be declared against, turn the "Aggressive AI" option on. I personally think Civ4's better how it is, but aggressive AI will let you see more declarations of war.
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Pis
              they most likely have a larger military than you
              Speak for yourself
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

The less players there are, the less chance you have of anyone declaring war on anyone, regardless of how much they hate each other. It's all about support and who an AI can bring into a war with them for an assured victory, and if there aren't enough players for that, nothing will ever happen.

I've played games with up to four AI's and no one has ever declared war. Any more than that, and people start letting it loose. Generally, I play games with 7-10 AIs, and things get pretty interesting. You have to pay close attention to who is allied with who, though.

Comment

I rather like it. They seem to need a reason to go to war with me, and rarely simple "I wan't, you got, and mine's bigger" suffices, atleast if you're in good terms.

It also makes turning on your friends more difficult... I felt genuinely bad, when Kublai Khan, strongest of the lot, asked me to declare war on my longtime friend Mansa, diminished to two cities... I did declare war to keep peace, much good it did...

This game needs a surrender option, similar to Calc Civ II. A friendly civ seeing his end looming, might entrust the fate of his people to my capable hands, same for AI...

And some flexibility in asking military aid. Simple "Declare/Don't" is rather weak. "We are in conflict with our bitter rivals, the Russians. Can you offer any assistance?" Gold, tech, intelligence, resources for the duration, close by units, for the duration or permanently, non-aggression pact, embargo, staging area, airports, or declaration of war. Maybe ever guarantee or something, they cross this line, we go after them. Maybe even talk to the buggers, tell them to call it off, or we'll nuke them.
                  I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Attila: Tho i am totally pro more diplomatic options with the A.I. (as long as it can handle it properly and also among itself), i think what you want is a diplo-multiplayer-game... I never played one, but there you would have all those kinds of options... hmm maybe i should play one myself one day - just my studies keep me from investing so much time...

Comment

Working...
                    X