What settings to be played on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What settings to be played on

I m a MP by heart but due to very few players there and looking for a new challenge i d try play some SP games - I m just not sure which settings to try -

I tried once hub map with god difficulty - what ended up in a buiuldfest where i just could not keep up with ais production abilities.

I m not a fan of diplomacy - imo it s too bugged to be useful and i m too lazy to check what ai might have to offer every turn.

So I think i prefer nontechtrading - but not sure on that aswell

So as said I m looking for a real challenge on a interesting map - any ideas?

maybe some fun settings which u could just not win?

I also dont want to be forced to abuse ai, use it s big dumbness in fighing ability like attacking units in wood all time without

Disable space race, diplo, time and cultural victories.
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Only conquest & domination enabled. Pangaea or Highland map. Difficulty level of your choice.
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Re: What settings to be played on

Originally posted by tommynt
        I m a MP by heart but due to very few players there and looking for a new challenge i d try play some SP games - I m just not sure which settings to try -
        It sounds to me like you're trying to reproduce the "MP experience", but substituting the AI for real players. That's fine, but I think it's important to understand that the AI is the AI, with all its shortcomings and potential for exploitation (and unexpected strengths too!). You're not going to avoid this by tweaking the map settings or difficulty level.

I m not a fan of diplomacy - imo it s too bugged to be useful and i m too lazy to check what ai might have to offer every turn.
        Like I said, trying to reproduce the MP experience: no tech trading is your solution here. However, I'm curious as to what bugs you are referring to with respect to diplomacy.

So as said I m looking for a real challenge on a interesting map - any ideas?
        Not sure what you mean by a "real" challenge (remember, the AI is the AI!).

Personally, I find the standard maps the most interesting: Continents, Pangea, Inland Sea. They also happen to be the maps that the AI is best at. As far as I know the AI does not have any special code for, say, Hub maps, so you're at a definite advantage with any of the special maps.

I also dont want to be forced to abuse ai, use it s big dumbness in fighing ability like attacking units in wood all time without
        Try Emperor or Immortal. You may find that the early-game is slightly "easy" if you engage in some successful warfare, but it gets a lot harder when you realise you have to compete with the other, more distant civs that have not been wasting their time with military units. Balancing war and peace is a "real" challenge for me in SP, not sure if it's what you have in mind though.

Enjoy!
        And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

It depends on what you want:

War - pangea (from begining:more civs;some build,first:less civs.)
          Peace - islands,archipelagos (until you attack someone or someone attacks).

And don't disable victory conditions: the ones you don't want, some AI wants and you must prevent. (Classic:fight agressives and space race'peaceniks).

Best regards,

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
            Disable space race, diplo, time and cultural victories.
            This actually makes the game a lot easier.

The AI has only three realistic means of defeating the human player:

1. Early-ish warfare, possibly involving an AI vs. human dogpile.
            2. Spaceship victory.
            3. Diplomatic victory.

On the higher difficulties, avoiding 1 is largely a matter of luck, but it is certainly possible to take precautions to reduce the risk of disaster. The AI is actually quite good at 2, especially if the human player has spending a lot of resources on Conquest/Domination instead of focusing on research. And 3 probably happens more often than players would like to admit, since many are not overly worried about diplomatic relations (until it's too late).

If you disable all victories but Conquest/Domination, all you need to do is focus on early defense to make sure the AI does not rush you, then you're home free: the AI cannot hope to compete with a dedicated player's superior military tactics (assuming you can remain competitive in tech, which is tricky but not overly difficult).

Put another way, the AI does not take into account victory condition settings, so it will go merrily along building SS components when only Conquest/Domination is possible. I would say that gives the human player a pretty unfair advantage.
            Last edited by Dominae; May 5, 2006, 17:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Domino's
              Put another way, the AI does not take into account victory condition settings, so it will go merrily along building SS components when only Conquest/Domination is possible.

Clearly I haven't played games with domination/conquest-only this far. That is incredibly stupid of the AI.

THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

thx for suggestions guys - what difficulty level do u think is hard to beat but somewhat beatable??

- as said i dont wana overrun AI but i want outbuild it - but on god it cheats that much that there s no way to win in "normal way" imo

by bugged diplomacy i m talking about that 1 ai is pissed all game just cause i didnt want to go to it s relgion in turn 15 or that it s happy about 10 gold

Comment

Originally posted by tommynt
                  thx for suggestions guys - what difficulty level do u think is hard to beat but somewhat beatable??
                  Immortal.

by bugged diplomacy i m talking about that 1 ai is pissed all game just cause i didnt want to go to it s relgion in turn 15 or that it s happy about 10 gold
                  Although you may get negative diplomacy modifiers from refusing the AI's requests/demands, there are ways to get positive modifiers, too. It's not "bugged" because you are unwilling to give it what it wants (like switch Religions/Civics, stop trading with an enemy, etc.). Gifts will only get you so far; it's certainly not going ally with you or give you a tech for 10 Gold.

Diplomacy is a big part of SP.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominae
                    Put another way, the AI does not take into account victory condition settings, so it will go merrily along building SS components when only Conquest/Domination is possible. I would say that gives the human player a pretty unfair advantage.
                    With the Apollo Project not available I think that's kind of hard to believe.

Comment

Aye, I can't build spaceship stuff, so how could they?
                      I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by Nacht
                        With the Apollo Project not available I think that's kind of hard to believe.
                        Oops, my bad.

Comment

Comment

Pangea or new world.
                            Huge Map
                            Marathon Speed
                            Conquest only

Whatever difficulty setting that floats your boat.
                            I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Originally posted by eggnog
                              Pangea or new world.
                              Huge Map
                              Marathon Speed
                              Conquest only

Comment

Working...
                              X