Gaurd units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaurd units

What's your strategy for units that guard cities or resources? I tend to have 2 archers and a couple axemen with at least one pikeman in each city early in the game, then between there and the industrial era it's a wide mix of unit types. Once I hit industrial and then modern I generally have 4 infantry/mech and then 4 or 8 tanks, along with 4 fighters and 4 bombers. I also generally try to have resources protected by 2-4 infantry/mech units, when I can afford to build them. I try to have an extra 4 infantry or tank units in cities that are on the border of hostile enemies, too, even if that means taking them away from my capital or a further-back city temporarily. Bombers are also more heavily concentrated on border cities.

Generally, lots on the borders, a couple in the capital, and some reserves in the middle which can move by railroad, however, in the early game i have more units in all cities. Not so in the Indust, and Modern Eras...
    "Dumb people are always blissfully unaware of how dumb they really are."
    Check out my Blog!

Comment

Unless you are playing at a very difficult level, I'd say you are going to extremes! Now, I am only a Noble player (no MP), but unless hostilities are imminent (or ongoing), 2-4 units are all that's GENERALLY needed in border cities. Cities in the interior might have one archer/longbow, even in the modern age. Reserves / offensive groups are placed in central locations (3+ tiles from the border, normally not in cities) where I can easily LOCATE them.

When potential enemies have flight, I'll spread interceptors along the border area. Just 1 or 2 per city since their intercept range is their full range -- don't want all your airpower in a border city that's taken!

Comment

Jeezum crow, that's a lot of units.

I'm a Prince/Monarch player, and my troop levels are a lot closer to Jaybe's- lightly defended interior, and then 2-3 troops in cities vulnerable to barbarians. I will generally place almost all of my offensive army (and future garrisons) in one or two border cities- As the Russians rushing for cavalry, for example, that will end up consisting of ~10 cossacks, 6 muskets, and 4 cats/cannon before I invade. Troop maintenance costs are just too high to have 4 or 8 units per city.

Comment

Yeah, I should've mentioned that I'm generally very much prepared for large wars. I usually make it my goal to be the #1 in power, particularly on Prince and Monarch, if I can. This just comes from having been declared war on dozens of times when I only had 2-3 units in most cities early in the game.

Comment

I tend to go with 1 spearman/1 archer for core cities and double that for border cities. All cities get a Fighter when Flight makes them available.
            Those who live by the sword...get shot by those who live by the gun.

Comment

One archer and later longbow/cho-ko-nu. Cities in areas of greater danger gets two or three of these. Then I have a few stacks of mobile defense that I use to stomp out barbarians and the odd invader.

This is on Prince/Monarch.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I also tend to have loads of troops stacked in my cities. This is because I'm too lazy to have gather them in one location. Once they get built, I often just fortify them in the city and then mobilized when needed. I hardly ever even build bombers since the game is usually over for me by tanks or before (I build a ton of troops once I get past liberalism). Amphibious attack with colleteral and raider tanks (combined with marines) can wipe someone out very quickly and gets the job done fine for me. If not then I beeline for modern armor.

Comment

Working...
                X