Where Have my Tech Movies Gone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where Have my Tech Movies Gone?

Hey all. I ran a search and have looked around for this answer, but I didn't have any luck.

For some reason, after installing the 1.61 patch, my technology movies (Leonard Nimoy voicing the quotes) have disappeared. I have double and triple checked that my options--both in the Civ4Config.ini file and the options menu in game--have not turned off the movies. There are conditions for both "all movies" and "tech splashes" ... neither are disabled. I have also pawed around the XML files but couldn't find the problem.

Anyone have any ideas, or know of some kind of issue that might be occurring? Thanks!

(edited: subject line for clarity)
    Last edited by rjwoer; April 24, 2006, 13:12.
    One of these days I'll make 501 posts, and you won't have to look at my silly little diplomat anymore.
    "Oh my God, what a fabulous room. Are all these your guitars?"

You have

NoTechSplash = 0

?
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

You had movies?
      I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
        You have

NoTechSplash = 0

?
        Yes, as follows:
        --

; Set to 1 for no tech splash screens
        NoTechSplash = 0

--

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
        You had movies?
        Well, not "movies" perse--but the splash screen appearing and the quote read by Leonard Nimoy. That's what I'm talking about here.

The first game I played after installing the new patch, the tech splashes came up as usual, but the three games I've started and finished subsequent to that first 1.61 game have had no tech pop-ups with the quote reading.
        One of these days I'll make 501 posts, and you won't have to look at my silly little diplomat anymore.

Comment

Could it be that you have a low-spec computer? Perhaps the game (1.61 patch) found it necessary to *really* cut on the bells and whisles?
          He who knows others is wise.
          He who knows himself is enlightened.
          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Well, it's nothing to write home about. But it's also a fairly new laptop. Pentium M 1.60, 560 DDR ...

So it's not the strongest for gaming. BUT, the wonder movies have always run smoothly, and the tech splashes never created a problem--as far as I could tell.

[In the interest of full disclosure, I was receiving a "failed to allocate video memory" error when loading saved games with 1.61. I turned the error message off in the Civ4Config.ini file and haven't had any problems running the game. Despite relatively low RAM, I've never had problems playing Civ 4 games on a standard (or smaller) map.]

Comment

I have the same problem; I also have a pretty good machine and never get any error messages.

Comment

It's not a machine problem... it's something else. My machine is very fast w/2gb- this happens to me too

Comment

Are you using mods developed before the latest patch? I had this problem as well and found that if I copied the "screens" folder from the python directory in the main game into the mods python folder it corrected the problem. Since I'm not a programmer there may be a better fix, but this worked for me.
                  Do you have this problem if you play a regular game (not a mod)?

Comment

No, no mods used: I just reformatted, and all I did was patch up. There are some other things I'm noticing too... city screen doesn't show the culture progress bar or the resources available anymore. What is going on?

Comment

Originally posted by woodreb
                      Are you using mods developed before the latest patch? I had this problem as well and found that if I copied the "screens" folder from the python directory in the main game into the mods python folder it corrected the problem. Since I'm not a programmer there may be a better fix, but this worked for me.
                      Do you have this problem if you play a regular game (not a mod)?
                      I am employing my resources mod (I just can't see playing the game without salt, coffee, tobacco). It would be strange if this had anything to do with the situation though, since the mod has been adjusted to fit the newest patch (to the best of my abilities), and hasn't caused problems in the past. There is no reason to think it would, since it is a pretty simple mod: it in no way effects the tech stuff, the splash screens, memory usage, etc.,. Nevertheless I will look into what you've said. Maybe it will help since you had the same problem and were able to solve it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Comment

There have been reports elsewhere of 1.61 not working well with no cd software.

If you are running with this, then try re-installing without it, apply 1.61, and see if that helps.
                        I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

No, but thanks for the idea; I'm running the game with the CD.

Comment

Originally posted by woodreb
                            I had this problem as well and found that if I copied the "screens" folder from the python directory in the main game into the mods python folder it corrected the problem.
                            After some housecleaning, this did the trick! Thanks for the help. It's nice to have Leonard Nimoy back!
                            Last edited by rjwoer; June 15, 2006, 03:10.

Comment

Working...
                            X