1.61 Marathon tech rate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.61 Marathon tech rate

Something weird is happening with the patch in Marathon mode. On Noble level it has suddenly become amazingly difficult to get new techs rolling. Before the patch, no tech would take longer than 40 turns or so at decent science rates (70%+). Now I am seeing techs take 70 or 80 turns!

It is taking me until 1500+ to learn Engineering whereas before the patch I was getting Engineering in Marathon Noble around 1100!

Is anyone else experiencing this? Is it an intended change?

Devin

I am running a Noble Marathon game right now, and I havn't noticed a major difference. And any difference could be to the fact that I am on different terrain and such. Maybe someone else has.

Though I'll add, on 1.52 I once won space race in 1600's (forgot the exact year) so slower techs is probabally for the best.

Comment

What are the upper times in turn you are seeing for new tech? Anything above 40?

Devin

Comment

Devin, just work some more cottages, will you!

Comment

Techs should be coming at a later date in 1.61 on Marathon, but that's not because they increased the research cost, but because they changed the number of years per turn so that the tech level matched with the date more often.

Comment

How many turns are in the different times now?

Comment

I am also seeing much longer times between techs on marathon.

Dunno if it is the patch or just the starts I have been playing around with to see how the changes effect the game
              I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

I don't see any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Qwertqwert
                  How many turns are in the different times now?
                  I don't know what exactly the difference between the pre- and post-1.61 turn distributions is, but I read in another thread where someone saved a game at app. 50 AD before the patch, and when they loaded it up after 1.61 that turn number equated to 350AD, so it's probably increasing the number of turns that are spent at 20 years per turn in the first part of the game.

I could tell you if I was at home and had access to the .XML files, maybe someone else can look it up in the meantime.

Comment

While the turns themselves may represent more years, it is also true that the tech turn times are in the 70s and 80s in some cases. I don't recall ever seeing a tech above 40 turns at 70%+ in the pre patch. So, it could be a double whammy!

Devin

Comment

Originally posted by Badtz Maru

I don't know what exactly the difference between the pre- and post-1.61 turn distributions is, but I read in another thread where someone saved a game at app. 50 AD before the patch, and when they loaded it up after 1.61 that turn number equated to 350AD, so it's probably increasing the number of turns that are spent at 20 years per turn in the first part of the game.

I could tell you if I was at home and had access to the .XML files, maybe someone else can look it up in the meantime.
                      Here's how the turns are divided up in Marathon as of 1.61...

15 years per turn for 200 turns
                      10 years per turn for 150 turns
                      8 years per turn for 40 turns
                      5 years per turn for 90 turns
                      2 years per turn for 60 turns
                      1 year per turn for 660 turns

Does anyone know how it was divided up before? I don't remember a period where there were 8 years per turn before, but I only played Marathon a couple of times.

Comment

Passage of years; Marathon with v1.52:
                        (years x turns)
                        20 x 100
                        10 x 200
                        5 x 200
                        2 x 350
                        1 x 350

Comment

Wow, that's a pretty radical change.

Comment

Originally posted by Badtz Maru
                            Wow, that's a pretty radical change.
                            Before 1.61, halfway through a Marathon game (Turn 600) it was the year 1200AD, and you still had 250 turns at 2 years per turn until the game shifted to one year per turn. After 1.61, Turn 600 falls on 1450AD and it's been 1 year per turn for 60 turns at that point.

There were no changes to the research rate or inflation (still 300% of normal). My guess is people who think they are having much slower research times are judging their level of financial development by the game year and not the number of their cities and their level of development. Either that or it's a rare glitch or a conflict with some mod.

Comment

Working...
                            X