Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should there be more building requirements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The thing that sucks on needing monasteries to build missionaries is that you can't build monasteries at all after you get Scientific Method, which means that when you are not running Organized Religion, you can never ever build missionaries for a religion that is spread to you AFTER you get Scientific Method.
    Those who live by the sword...get shot by those who live by the gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Willem
      I think a better approach would be to reverse it, otherwise it might become too easy to pump out units. So if you didn't have an Airport in the city, it would cost you 10 - 25% more to build the unit. That would mean that the AI wouldn't really be hindered too much. And it would put more relevance to having those buildings.
      I kinda assumed that everybody read between the lines: If my idea was implemented, then all aircraft units' base price would be higher, so when building an Airport, all aircraft will end up costing the same as now
      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I'd think this would be easy enough to implement, make it one of those "Permanent Alliances"-type options when starting a game; "Additional building requirements"... or something shorter.

Why was "No Cheating" changed, btw? Sounds like PC...
        I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by Son of David
          When you start making *demands* on how people play the game it gets less fun.
          Having a building requirement for units would be no different than the way it's done in Command & Conquer, and games like it. And people still find them fun.

Comment

An airport wouldn't be required to make an aeroplane. An airport is where they land/take-off.

The WWII planes that the first fighter and bomber represent took off and landed from fields, not the kind of modern airport the airport building represents.

I think the balance is good at the moment. You already require resources and technologies to build different units, it'd be really annoying to require certain buildings as well.
            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
            We've got both kinds

Comment

Re: Should there be more building requirements?

For instance, it seems natural to me that you would need an Airport in order to build aircraft, modern ships should require a Drydock, and Tanks should be built only in cities with a Factory.
              You don't need an airport to build aeroplanes, just to use them.

Edit: curse you, Mr Hunt
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

You don't need an airport to build aeroplanes, just to use them.

Edit: curse you, Mr Hunt
                But aircraft manufacturing facilities tend to be near airports as well. There's an association between the two.

Comment

But aircraft manufacturing facilities tend to be near airports as well. There's an association between the two.
                  Maybe that's for flying in parts and flying out the finished products. That's necessary for modern large aircrafts (jetliners, US planes, etc.). Soviet military aircraft tend to be designed so they could land in less than ideal situations (improvised strips, paved roads, etc.).
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                  X