4 Questions for Players Better than Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Questions for Players Better than Me

1. Do Horse Archers Count as Mounted or Archery Units ?

2. Does Organized Religion cut down on the amount of time to build Wonders too ?

3. The pop-up for the Free Market Civic says I can deficit spend. How ?

4. Is getting attacked inevitable, esp. in mid-game ?

1. Mounted

2. No

3. Not sure what it means, as I am a Mercantilism fan.

4. It depends on various factors, but in general yes. Higher difficulty increases chances. As does having many aggressive trait civs and more total civs. In general if you begin to slip down the scoreboard and power ranking, you will become a bigger target. Same goes for your diplomatic status, if you have Annoyed or even Cautious ratings with aggressive civs, you should expect an invasion around Cavalry time (almost without fail on Emporer and above), let alone an early Horse Archer, swordsman war (which is also frequent with aggressive neighbors)

Comment

4. Attack is very likely rather than inevitable. Perhaps a defensive pacts with any (all) friendly AI can reduce the chance of an attack.

RJM at Sleeper's
      Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

4. I've had entirely peaceful games on the highest levels. The best way to avoid getting attacked is to be careful what religion (if any) you adopt, pay up tribute demands if your military is weak, and make sure the AIs hate each other more than you.

Comment

Deficit spending means that your treasury can go into the negative numbers. You can't exactly spend money then, but if you have 0 gold and -10 GPT, your treasury will go to -10 gold. With another civic, your research rates would be automatically lowered for money not to fall into the negatives, but if impossible, units would go on a strike.
          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
            Deficit spending means that your treasury can go into the negative numbers. You can't exactly spend money then, but if you have 0 gold and -10 GPT, your treasury will go to -10 gold. With another civic, your research rates would be automatically lowered for money not to fall into the negatives, but if impossible, units would go on a strike.
            That would be deficit spending if it was in the game. I might be missing something but I don't see the popup nor am I able to run a negative treasure.

Comment

Re: 4 Questions for Players Better than Me

Originally posted by SorvinoBackhand
              2. Does Organized Religion cut down on the amount of time to build Wonders too ?
              In contrast to what dalessi said, yes.

Comment

Org Religion does indeed cut down time to build National and World Wonders along with buildings.
                (But not projects)

On the sign deffensive pacts to prevent war: It actually increases the risk both directly and indirectly:

Directly via the one more way to go to war. (Via someone declaring war against your ally)

Indirectly via the "You've signed a pact against us!" diplomatic penalty both of you get.
                1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                Templar Science Minister
                AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn
                  On the sign deffensive pacts to prevent war: It actually increases the risk both directly and indirectly:
                  True - but I suspect that when another Empire is considering going to war with you, it's going to count the fact that you have a defensive alliance with someone as a point against. If you are a somewhat weaker nation (power wise), and you've allied with a strong Empire, you've probably decreased the chances of getting attacked.

Bh

Comment

Originally posted by Bhruic

True - but I suspect that when another Empire is considering going to war with you, it's going to count the fact that you have a defensive alliance with someone as a point against. If you are a somewhat weaker nation (power wise), and you've allied with a strong Empire, you've probably decreased the chances of getting attacked.

Bh
                    Also, the OP's question was about being attacked. I have been involved in some wars where I declared war because of a pact, but I never attacked them and they never attacked me. As soon as my "ally" signed a treaty, I did as well.

RJM at Sleeper's
                    Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

Working...
                    X