Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crash on Wonder Zoom... Even with 1.52!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crash on Wonder Zoom... Even with 1.52!?

I could use some help if anyone has suggestions. Here's the scoop:

- Civ 4 (rel. 1.52) crashes regularly when it zooms to the city where I've built a Great Wonder.
    - My whole computer freezes so badly that I am forced to use the computer's reset button.
    - The crash occurs right after the blue wonder movie window appears. I only see the name of the wonder at the top of the window. At the same time, I'll hear repeated static/clicking from my speakers, like a pop from a microphone. (BTW, I don't have a mic plugged in.)
    - The crash seems more likely to come after I've already built another Great Wonder in the same game session. As a result and because I might otherwise have to go back a ways to an autosave, I save the game when I'm a turn away from building them. I then typically exit to desktop and reload the entire game. Even then, it still happens on occasion immediately after loading and ending the turn. However, sometimes it works fine for a good long time and I can build several wonders in a session.
    - The crash does not occur in multiplayer as the movies don't appear.
    - The 1.52 patch readme seems to indicate that it fixes this bug, but I have that patch installed. Here's the specs from ABOUT THIS BUILD: Civ Version = 152 / Save Version = 102 / Build Version = 1.5.2.1736 (42422) / Build Date = Wed Dec 21 21:17:25 2005 / Build = Final Release / Mod Name = None
    - I very recently uninstalled and reinstalled the entire Civ 4 package and then let it update itself through the game menu. I did not see anything unusual during this process.
    - I don't know if it's potentially related, but my DVD-ROM sometimes has trouble finding the "true" play disc, Disc 1. This happens more often after a crash and reboot. I have to eject the disc tray and reset it, then it autoruns fine from the disc.
    - System specs, in case it helps: Windows XP Pro, 2002, Service Pack 2 / AMD Athlon XP 2100+, 1.73 GHz, 512 MB RAM. The only unusual device I'm running is the Audigy 2 Platinum sound card and front interface.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me on this!
    "Accept this deal or pay the consequences!"

There's some known issues with the wonder movies even with 1.52. They'll no doubt be dealt with in the next patch. In the meantime, you can go into your ini file and turn the movies off completely.

Comment

Graphics card?
      Driver version?
      DirectX version?
      Graphics settings?

[This should also go into the Help section]
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I had a similar problem (on v 1.00) with the wonder movies. It was because my video card was too old.
        Early to rise, Early to bed.
        Makes you healthy and socially dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Willem
          There's some known issues with the wonder movies even with 1.52. They'll no doubt be dealt with in the next patch. In the meantime, you can go into your ini file and turn the movies off completely.
          I've never had this particular problem, but I do know that I haven't had any problems with crashes with the beta patches so I think you're right.
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Thanks, Willem -- Editing the .INI works like a charm. I've searched futilely before for a way to turn the wonder movies off within the game menus. It was also a little confusing to find the .INI in My Documents, but that's what SEARCH is for!

Urban Ranger -- I apologize for not placing this post in the right spot (HELP). For posterity, here are the specs you requested:
            - VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200
            - DRIVER: 10/6/2003, 5.2.1.6
            - DIRECTX: I had some trouble with this one, but found a DIRECTX.LOG with dated entries. Here's the 3rd-to-last: "10/26/05 16:20:40: dsetup32: Installation ended with value 0 = Installation succeeded". The date, 10/26/05, coincides with the date I originally installed Civ 4, I'm pretty sure.
            - GAME SETTINGS --
            Resolution: 1024x768
            Anti-Aliasing MultiSamples: 0
            Graphics Level: High
            Render Quality Level: High
            Globe Quality: High
            (I've subsequently turned "high" values to "medium".)

Thanks again and good civving to all!
            "Accept this deal or pay the consequences!"

Comment

Hi,

At first glance, your graphics card maybe a bit too old. First thing to try is to set all your graphics settings to "low" and use a color depth of 16-bit.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
              X