What changes in play have you made ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What changes in play have you made ?

For all those who have played Civ3, any changes ?
    anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

In civ3 I just try to found how many cities I can,a very little infraestructure,always build military and conquest.
    In civ4 I try to balance the whole game,some cities,some estructure,some military,some expansion,some stop.
    And in both games learn technologies.
    Best regards,

Comment

Many.

Massive rapid early expansion and military conquest aren’t my number one priority (or possible, really). Building a limited number of cities, establishing trade and getting my economy going strong before any outward aggression is.

I no longer launch my military campaigns based on hard points in the game, such as obtaining my UU or a certain tech (in Civ III Military Tradition always meant upgrade the Knights and go off to war).

With map trading coming much later, world exploration is a higher priority.

I actually use Explorers.

Wonders are far less important in my overall strategy, and I no longer build an entire strategy around one (such as the Great Library in Civ III). If I miss a wonder, its not the end of the world.

My research up the Tech Tree is far more flexible and determined by conditions “on the ground”.

Trade much more.

Religion, not found in III, is a major part of my game and economy. I flood the globe with Missionaries.
      "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

It's a different game now. Used to be the exact same tech path for me in civ3 no matter what was happening, and if i missed the important wonders (collosus, great library, copernicus observatory, isac newtons university) then it was a reload or restart... Now no one wonder is a must have, in fact i prefer neighbors to build them...

I often play with 2 or 3 cities until very late game, then expand for the win in civ4.
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

I worry about the barbs now.

In all though, my game style is completely different than it was. Thankfully, I don't need to spam cities as quickly as I can in the early game.

Comment

Another major one: I do not time, or more often than not even trigger, a GA.
            "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

Re: What changes in play have you made ?

Originally posted by Platypus Rex
              For all those who have played Civ3, any changes ?
              I play Fear nowadays. I'd call that a change.

In Civ4, I'm less likely to keep my military up, regardless of my neighbours. Dunno why...
              I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Yeah same here Tattila. I don't like making military units in Civ4. In Civ3 I loved archer rushing my opponent with Vel's pruning strategies, to eventually control my continent. In Civ4 I find that it is much more difficult to attack other civ's therefore I never attempt it, and fall behind in military. That and the allure of cottage spamming sends my hammer production really low, so units feel like they take forever to build in place of buildings which could be maximizing my gold

I guess it's all about city specialization, but military strength is definately one of my weaknesses in Civ4.

Comment

Well if someone declared war on me in Civ3, I'd have everyone else declare war on them, in Civ4 I can't do that.

Comment

Working...
                  X