Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech race at noble level

Hello guys!

I am having some troubles at the tech race in noble level (I don't know the other levels because I began playing civ4 in noble level :P ). Not that I am one of the less advanced civilizations, but surealy in a game with 18 civs I begin in the very top but time makes me to fall into the 4th, 5th place. And what is worst, it is quite unbalanced: the first one has like 5-6 more techs than me, and I have much more than a civ on 10th, 11th place. So, why does it happen? I am having fun with philosophical civs, and I am producing many great scientists and making them to construct academyes in every city I have. Also I don't take too long to discover writing and when I do my capital and one or two major cities I have begin to immediately produce library.

Maybe the problem is that I sell too many technologies, but it is needed to invest hard in my tech research and, at the same time, maintain an army able to defend my civ if any warmonger declares war to me while I am focusing myself on research and not on military. And I also avoid (not that I don't sell, just avoid) selling techs to the most advanced civs. But maybe that's one of the problems.

The other may be the simple trade of techs. I trade techs of the same scientifical value (ex. alphabet for code of laws and not alphabet for masonry :P) but maybe it just helps to get a civ on top.

Tell me your opinion please: If I stop trading techs for money or other techs, can this problem be solved? If yes, do I need to stop both of them or just one of them?

Thanks!

Edit: I still didn't patch to the latest version due to internet connection limitations. Maybe it was solved in one of the patches...?

Do: trade 1 tech (e.g. alphabet) for many different techs from different civs. Don't drag it out. Once you trade it with one civ trade it with all of them on the same turn. Otherwise you'll lose use of it.

Keeping ahead of the tech race on noble is usually not a problem.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I always try to get Alphabet as soon as possible (maybe it'd be smarter to get things like archery though before)

I try to start with Wheel and Argiculture, then get Pottery, Writing, and Alphabet in that order. Give me a BIG advantage when trying to get all the techs and usaually sends me from last to first place point wise.

Comment

Do: trade 1 tech (e.g. alphabet) for many different techs from different civs. Don't drag it out. Once you trade it with one civ trade it with all of them on the same turn. Otherwise you'll lose use of it.

Keeping ahead of the tech race on noble is usually not a problem.
        Thanks! I will try that!

always try to get Alphabet as soon as possible (maybe it'd be smarter to get things like archery though before)

I try to start with Wheel and Argiculture, then get Pottery, Writing, and Alphabet in that order. Give me a BIG advantage when trying to get all the techs and usaually sends me from last to first place point wise.
        That's something I already try to do...but maybe I am a little different and it takes longer:

Agriculture/Mining/Wheel first. Then: Pottery -> Bronze Working -> Animal Husbandry.

That's because I feel the real need of seeing as fast as possible where can I find copper and horses. If I don't find any copper, I try to get into Iron Working after Animal Husbandry. Why? Because I usually start a game with 18 civs and sooner that I can believe they would build their cities close to all the copper and horses locations that I can see and block me from getting them.

Only then I get into Writing and Alphabet.

Maybe the solution what Urban Ranger said, choose only ONE tech. I will try that...

Comment

It's generally a good idea to trade techs; if you don't, the AI's will. Even if you don't get a great deal with one civ (selling horseback riding for something worth only half as much, say), if you take that same tech and sell it to everyone, you'll come out ahead.

Comment

There is a fantastic post by Aeson about it(I don't remember the tiltle).
            Best regards,

Comment

Working...
            X