• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monastaries and Missionaries after Scientific Method

I believe that:

(1) they do still generate a culture bonus
    (2) they do not generate a research bonus
    (3) no new Monasteries can be built

But in my past games I've kept Organized Religion so long that I don't remember whether you can build a Missionary in a city that has an existing Monastery.

Can you still build missionaries after Scientific Method with something other than Organized Religion?

If you have a monastary in the city, you can still build missionarys.

But you are correct - you cannot build new monitaries after scientific method has been researched.
    Early to rise, Early to bed.
    Makes you healthy and socially dead.

Comment

Guess I best make sure I have all the monasteries I want before I hit that tech.

I'm ahead in tech at the moment, and in rate of tech output, but I'm planning to overextend myself anyway so that should provide a convenient tech slowdown if I time it right.

Military protection for the new cities is already built... more military and settlers in the queue.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the research bonus still applies after scientific method. You might want to check that again.

Comment

No, the research bonus is the one thing you lose. Think about it, Scientific Method and a religious institution is providing a research bonus? At that point all science would become secular.

Comment

What about Creationism?

Comment

One thing I noticed is that if you have a monestary in your construction queue and then hit Scientific Method, the monestary stays in the queue, although you cannot add a new one. I haven't tried to exploit this so I'm not sure how far you can take it - I just had something in the queue finish on the same turn I got Scientific Method and the monestary was next and it still got built.

Comment

Originally posted by DudewithaWig
                What about Creationism?
                It's called Intelligent Design these days.

Comment

That's interesting.

I noticed that my missionaries in progress WERE removed from my queues when I switched from Organized Religion to Pacificism. These particular cities did not have monasteries.

The missionaries were even partially built, but they were still deleted.

I was not too happy about that. I really didn't want to switch just yet, but I was switching to representation, and it only added 2 turns of anarchy (on Marathon), and I'm in desperate need of great prophets.

My city generated people have been, Engineer, Merchant, and Artist. I've founded 6 religions and have no great prophets yet in 1200 AD. ARG!

Comment

Originally posted by Willem

It's called Intelligent Design these days.
                    Or Flying Spaghetti Monsterism

Comment

The Big Bang Theory came from a Catholic monk
                      "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                      "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                      "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                      "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by DudewithaWig

Or Flying Spaghetti Monsterism
                        Thou shalt not speaketh the name of The Flying Spaghetti Monster in vain.
                        I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Damn Pastafarians.

Its just SPAGHETTI. Get over it.

Comment

Originally posted by phooey73
                            Damn Pastafarians.

Its just SPAGHETTI. Get over it.

Comment

There is the minor annoyance in Civ4 of when a new religion gets spread into your civilization from a foreign nation and since you already have Scientific Method, you can not build missionaries for it without changing your civics to Organized Religion.
                              Those who live by the sword...get shot by those who live by the gun.

Comment

Working...
                              X