No copper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No copper

I just started a game and was first to bronze working, but there was no copper anywhere. I am now blocked off on my content by the Chinese (it is still about 1600BC). What do I do? Go for iron working and hope for the best?
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Yep, or horses. I hope you have archers for the interim.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I have horses nearby - are chariots really enough to take over a neighbor?
      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

If it's reeeeally early in the game, yes.

Comment

I suggest the flanking promotion. It can be done.

At least you have horses. I started a game where I didn't have horses, iron, OR copper on my entire continent. Even worse, I was the only one on the continent and too far from others to reach.
          Early to rise, Early to bed.
          Makes you healthy and socially dead.

Comment

On such a continent there shouldn't appear barbarian axemen.

Comment

But they know where the copper is.

From my experience, if I don't have copper, I have iron, and usually horses. I've never missed out on all three, and a lot of the time I only get three cities to start with.

If I don't have copper, I usually wait until I have civil service, macemen, and catapults, to go on a real rampage. Unless I'm Caesar, in which case, I'll go for iron working.

Persian Immortals are another excuse to go on an early rampage, plus they look so cool.

Comment

I've started a few MP games where I started on a long peninsula and had none of the three. It makes for a long night. (especially when there's a lack of hills, forests and fresh water.) At least there was water. Unfortunately in MP games you just can't say this start sucks, let's try another. at least not very often.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by pchang
                  I have horses nearby - are chariots really enough to take over a neighbor?
                  I've never done it with chariots, but a horse archer rush can work. Of course, horseback riding is a very expensive technology, and you have to rush someone who dosn't have lots of spearmen; you might be better off going for iron and hoping to get lucky.

Comment

No copper usually means I wait for Iron but go and get those horses because chariots help keep the barbs at bay. You might also want to wait until you get cats as well because by the time you get iron and pump out an army the enemies cultural defenses/walls might be too costly for naked axe/swords.

But I lean towards the builder side so judge my advice accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                      I've started a few MP games where I started on a long peninsula and had none of the three. It makes for a long night. (especially when there's a lack of hills, forests and fresh water.) At least there was water. Unfortunately in MP games you just can't say this start sucks, let's try another. at least not very often.
                      You can once in awhile if you beg enough

Comment

Originally posted by Fallenhero
                        You might also want to wait until you get cats as well because by the time you get iron and pump out an army the enemies cultural defenses/walls might be too costly for naked axe/swords.
                        I don't agree...if you can get swords (or Jaguars if Aztec) while your neighbor is still relying on bows, it's not hard to launch a major invasion and conquer him quickly; and you will usually have at least one neigbor who either dosn't go up the bronzeworking path early or dosn't get copper.

Comment

Build mines and make sure your city works them. There is a slight chance of discovering the very resource you need in your back yard, and slight is better than nothing.

Admittedly, I've never found Copper or Iron this way, but a pile of other mineable resources in different games, yes.
                          O'Neill: I'm telling you Teal'c, if we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it.

Lose it. It means, Go crazy. Nuts. Insane. Bonzo. No longer in possession of one's faculties. Three fries short of a Happy Meal. WACKO!

Comment

I'd go for iron working - in the early stages swordsman can be just as effective as axemen

If you don't get any iron, umm then........
                            I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Originally posted by nugog
                              I'd go for iron working - in the early stages swordsman can be just as effective as axemen

If you don't get any iron, umm then........
                              Of course, he'll be able to build both axemen and swordsmen with iron...

Comment

Working...
                              X