Patch 1.52 fails to install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patch 1.52 fails to install

New computer, freshly reformatted drives and re-installed OS. Civilization 4 installed properly, but upon trying to upgrade to version 1.52, the upgrade failes.

Both "Check for Updates" and downloading the update and running it fail.

Error message for downloaded update:

Error Code: -5009 : 0x80040702
    Error Information:
    >Ctor\ObjectWrapper.cpp (163)
    >Ctor\ObjectWrapper.cpp (391)
    >Kernel\Component.cpp (1163)
    >Ctor\ObjectWrapper.cpp (34)
    >Ctor\DriverWrapper.cpp (31)
    >Kernel\Component.cpp (1152)
    >Kernel\CABFile.cpp (384)
    >SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (1526)
    PAPP:Sid Meier's Civilization 4
    PVENDOR:Firaxis Games (##IDS_PRODUCT_URL##)
    PGUID:CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8
    $11.0.0.28844PAK
    @Windows XP Service Pack 2 (2600) IE 6.0.2900.2180

Are you sure your download isn't corrupted? You could try maybe downloading from an alternate location. Like download a version from Apolyton and another from Filefront or the official site.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I tried the "Check for Updates" route first and got a Catastrophic Failure error.

I downloaded one version of the file from Firaxis, and from a filehosting site like FileFront (I believe that was the one).

I also dug around for a downloadable version of v1.09, but that also failed to install as well, so the problem is not isolated to v1.52.

I'm using an Athlon 64 3800, Windows XP SP2, Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS, and a BFG nVidia GeForce 7800 GTX.

Comment

Update:

v152PATCHREL.exe downloaded from 3DDownloads.com proceeded through the installation and encountered two CRC check failures. One was for RockAndRoll.bik and one for Civ4DiplomacyText.xml. It allowed me to ignore the CRC errors and the installation completed. The game gave me an XML error at startup for the Civ4DiplomacyText.xml file.

The Diplomacy Fix v1.1 mod in the Creation and Files forum eliminated the XML error at start up.

So eventually, I got v1.52 up and working, so if anyone encounters the same problem, try the above.

Comment

Update the Second:

I've pinpointed the exact problem. After similar trouble with patches with a Blizzard game, I came across the answer. Apparently, an nVidia firewall was installed along with the drivers and such I installed with ethernet drivers that came with the ASUS A8N-SLI motherboard. From what I understand, the nVidia firewall is notorious for corrupting downloads.

Once I eliminated the nVidia Firewall, the problems vanished.

Comment

Working...
          X