Astronomy from a hut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Astronomy from a hut

While playing a Prince level marathon game, I had a caravel with an explorer on board trying to circumnavigate the globe (AD 1125). I found a small island that had a hut on it, popped the hut and received Astronomy! I didn't think huts gave techs after the Ancient era. Has anyone gotten a more advanced tech from huts?

Lucky you .

Theoretically, the hut can give you any technology. So on Terra, it's quite possible to pop Medieval/Renaissance techs!
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
      Lucky you .

Theoretically, the hut can give you any technology. So on Terra, it's quite possible to pop Medieval/Renaissance techs!
      Really? Then what do you think 'bGoodyTech' in the CIV4TechInfos.xml file means

Comment

And yes, Astronomy has a 1 in that entry.

Comment

Ive popped drama before.
          Early to rise, Early to bed.
          Makes you healthy and socially dead.

Comment

Originally posted by The keeper
            Ive popped drama before.
            I got drama from a hut in my current game. There was a barb warrior sitting on it. I had a theory that this might stop the barbs attacking me so I left it alone. In the end it was popped by a border expansion and out popped Drama!

RJM at Sleeper's
            Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

This may lead to a brief fad of preserving a pristine hut or two in the hopes of popping a tech later...of course that will deter Open Borders.
              "...your Caravel has killed a Spanish Man-o-War."

Comment

I got the chance to try it last night. I got to Optics and built a couple of caravels and sent them with scouts in oposite directions to get the circumnavigation bonus. The one I sent west found Asoka and on the southern tip of the continent he was on was a goody hut shielded from him by a couple of mountians. I droped the scout on it and out popped Astronomy! Bittersweet since I had built the colosus.

Comment

Originally posted by samspock I droped the scout on it and out popped Astronomy! Bittersweet since I had built the colosus.
                  Glad to know that we can still count on Murphy's Law!
                  "...your Caravel has killed a Spanish Man-o-War."

Comment

nice views!

hello,

interesting point of views!
                    sounds very nice to achieve a tech from nowhere!
                    my own record,it was playing civilization 1,when i have gained magnetism from a goody hut!this gave me then a crucial advantage.
                    however,although sounds weird,please dont forget that there are still legendary myths for the aztec civilization,in which some people(erich von deniken)claim that they posses far more advance technology for the era they lived.astronomy was far more advanced there,and in some walls of their temples,were clearly shown the plantes of our solar system!!!!!

Comment

If you've read 100 years of Solitude, It isn't that suprising that astronomy could be found in a goody hut .

Comment

I've also gotten Astronomy from a goody hut while having the Colossus and being Financial.

The net loss of commerce was about equal to the value of the tech, I'd say. I was going to have to research it sooner or later, and it opened up more of the world for immediate settling, and resourcewise I happened to be prepared for that!

On the whole, a very positive find.

Comment

Working...
                        X