Desert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desert

Which terrain improvements can be built on desert?
    My workers seem to be able to build only roads on them.

In a desert, you can only build roads and railroads. If there is a resource in the desert, you can build the improvement for that. Fore example, desert with oil allows you to build the Oilwell.
    Please include the Vikings in the Expansion :-)
    Disabling Creative Live Soundcard and use Onboard Sound = No more lock ups and restarts. I am reborn after I found out about this....and then it startet again.

Comment

And you know, building roads in a desert takes even more turns.

Comment

The odd thing is that I altered the XML files to supposedly allow farms to be placed on deserts, but it didn't seem to work.
        Those who live by the sword...get shot by those who live by the gun.

Comment

If you look at one of the composite maps of the Earth showing night glows of city lights, you will see that VAST areas of the land are ... DARK.

It is entirely appropriate that large areas of the ground are rather useless. Even more than is often the case in Civ maps (I generally use huge ones).

Comment

Originally posted by Ijuin
            The odd thing is that I altered the XML files to supposedly allow farms to be placed on deserts, but it didn't seem to work.
            It does. I did the same thing. IIRC, you need to adjust TERRAIN_DESERT to allow improvements.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
              If you look at one of the composite maps of the Earth showing night glows of city lights, you will see that VAST areas of the land are ... DARK.
              Farms don't have lamp posts at every bean patch. You could be cultivating thousands of square miles and it would still show up as dark. Lights only indicate where people live, not what they do with the land around them.

Comment

Originally posted by Nacht
                And you know, building roads in a desert takes even more turns.
                should take less. no trees to clear away. We can build roads very fast where I live (in the mojave desert essentually- or the edge of it)

Comment

cities

best improvement by far for a desert...

Comment

I am not sure what the rules are, but I can sometimes build farms on deserts. It required being next to a river. Being next to a lake or oasis was not enough.
                    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Yeah, that kind of tile is called a "floodplain." If they're within your city's fat cross you actually get a tiny bit of sickness from them... probably theoretically from mosquitoes breeding there or something.

I think it's a bit absurd that you STILL can't build on desert in the game, even after researching biology and all the modern techs up to fusion. I think one of the later techs should allow irrigated farms and cities to be built on desert tiles, at least. Look at Palm Springs, Las Vegas, and all the farmland in southern California we have today. Sure getting all the water needed essentially re-routes entire streams and rivers directly into faucets and sprinklers...

Comment

It makes perfect sense *not* being able to use everything. In RL, only 12% of all land area is considered habitable. I'd say civ is quite generous towards us
                        Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

12%? That seems pretty low. I'm living in Japan right now, and mountains that climb at like 55 degree grades render the island 25% unihabitable - and even that is pretty extreme when you see it. Maybe the number should be more like 12% of the world's surface.

It would also depend on how you mean it - if you're a bedouin, desert is quite liveable thanks very much, and an Inuit would provide the same answer for what many would consider otherwise worthless tundra. Even the mountains here in Japan are 'liveable' - but there ain't a lot of territory for video stores and strip malls, if that's what you're saying.
                          Veni, Vedi, Veresetti

Comment

Originally posted by axisworks
                            Yeah, that kind of tile is called a "floodplain." If they're within your city's fat cross you actually get a tiny bit of sickness from them... probably theoretically from mosquitoes breeding there or something.

I think it's a bit absurd that you STILL can't build on desert in the game, even after researching biology and all the modern techs up to fusion. I think one of the later techs should allow irrigated farms and cities to be built on desert tiles, at least. Look at Palm Springs, Las Vegas, and all the farmland in southern California we have today. Sure getting all the water needed essentially re-routes entire streams and rivers directly into faucets and sprinklers...
                            yeah I know. Much of southern California and a few areas outside Las Vegas are irrigated. But we here in Las Vegas still get most of our food from outside sources (namely California), we are not self sustaining. Most of the desert outside our city is unused. Sure you'll find mines in the hills (this is in the game as you can mine desert hills), but most of the land is useless. You'll find a little bit of farming near Mesquite and Overton. This utilizes the Virgin and Muddy river water. And much of the farming in So Co. utilizes colorado river water.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiderjeru
                              12%? That seems pretty low. I'm living in Japan right now, and mountains that climb at like 55 degree grades render the island 25% unihabitable - and even that is pretty extreme when you see it. Maybe the number should be more like 12% of the world's surface.
                              That's about right. 30% or so is land, then you exclude ice caps, deserts, moutain ranges, etc.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X