Bugs in Greek World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bugs in Greek World

There's a few bugs I've found in the Greek World Python Script (Feb Patch)

These are fixable by the users, but I figure people from Firaxis would more likely visit this forum than the creation one.

[convert underscores to one level of indention; appolyton kills white space used as indention]

This segment

self.flipCity(2, tMarseilles, 1, 1, iCelts, [iEtruria])
    if (pRome.isHuman() == 0):
    _self.flipCity(3, tMilano, 1, 1, iCelts, [iEtruria])
    _self.flipCity(5, tAleppo, 1, 1, iBabylon, [iPhoenicia, iIsrael, 18])

should be

if (pRome.isHuman() == 0):
    _self.flipCity(2, tMarseilles, 1, 1, iCelts, [iGreekCol])
    _self.flipCity(3, tMilano, 1, 1, iCelts, [iEtruria])
    self.flipCity(5, tAleppo, 1, 1, iBabylon, [iPhoenicia, iIsrael, 18])

1)Marseilles is near Rome; not Aleppo.
    2)In addition, Marseills starts under ownership of Greek Col, not Etruria.

3)
    if (self.getJerusalemFate() >= 40): # LOQ 2005-10-12
    _self.flipCity(50, tYerushalayim, 1, 1, iBabylon, [iIsrael])

self.flipCity(11, tPetra, 1, 1, iBabylon, [iIsrael])

should be

if (self.getJerusalemFate() >= 40): # LOQ 2005-10-12
    _self.flipCity(5, tYerushalayim, 1, 1, iBabylon, [iIsrael])

self.flipCity(5, tPetra, 1, 1, iBabylon, [iIsrael])

Israel fell in 586 BC to the Babs. (Closest to turn 5 based on other Bab events.)
    In fact, on the script turn 12 is when the Babs are due to be wiped out by the Persians [when Persia is AI controlled]

Also, this Python file has both tabs and spaces in it

This breaks the 1st commendment of any language that uses indentation to define blocks of code, "Thou shalt not mix spaces and tabs in the same file lest fatal bugs be multipled unto thee."
    1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
    Templar Science Minister
    AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

What is the scenario like, to play? Any major difference to the main game?

Comment

Yes.

Several civs are designated as "super barbs", their always at war with everyone but you you aren't subject to the 10 XP cap fighting them.

The historic rises & falls of empires are coded into the python files.
      (With exceptions to keep the human from gaining or losing cities from this.)

So, the Babs conquers several cities only to be wiped out in turn by the Persians a few turns later who become the first major power. A few turns later, Greece gets a threshold into Turkey. Ten turns later the Egyptians kick out the Persians from their lands. Macedonia rapidlly expands and contracts.

Also, everyone starts with their best units for a very long time and many of the wonders don't need techs. Also Galleys aren't restricted to the coast.

In addition, unlike standard where as the game progresses, there's fewer years in each turn, in Greek World, the number of years per turn increases from 5 to 10 in 1 AD and to 12 years a couple of centuries later.

Christanity gets founded in 40 AD in Jersulem. (If raized, then a random city that follows Judism founds it.) If the selected city is not owned by a human, seven free Christian missionaries are granted to that player. Then a few turns later, every AI controlled city with Christanity gets peroidcally granted a free Christian missonary.

Originally posted by Son of David
      What is the scenario like, to play? Any major difference to the main game?
      Templar Science Minister
      AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn

Christanity gets founded in 40 AD in Jersulem. (If raized, then a random city that follows Judism founds it.)
        Ahh that explains it. The first time I played it, as the Romans, I founded Christianity when I discovered Theology, but the next time I didn't. I thought there was some kind of bug in the game but I guess the first time Jerusalem had been razed. I wonder why they didn't use the no razing option in that scenario?

Comment

joncnunn, what is this "Greek World Python Script (Feb Patch)"?
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Nikolai, it's a report of the logic bugs in the Greek World found in the Civ IV patch released in Feb.

It's duel purpose.

1. Informs any one in Firaxis that looks at this forum about this issue so they can incorporate offical fixes into the next patch.

2. Informs users about it so that if they don't want to wait they can fix it on their copy.

Now, apolyton forums deletes what it considers extra white space in posts, so I've converted a level of indention into underscore. (Python reverted to pre-Algol languages by having indention be the beginning & ending of code blocks) One Tab = One space as far as Python is concerned so replacing a tab with four spaces or reverse breaks code.

There's one major fraction that says tabs should be used and not spaces.
            There's another major fraction that says spaces should be used and not tabs.
            Everyone agrees that it's really bad to mix tabs & spaces in the same file.

Basically the flipCity method has six parameters.
            The first is the turn number.
            The second is the location. (Towards the top of this file, the author created constants representing the cities)
            The third and forth declare if it's a conquest or trade and if all units in the city are to be replaced by 2 archers or not.
            The ones I've indicated are conquests and replace units by 2 archers.
            The fith parameter is the new owner.
            The sixth parameter is an array of old owners.
            Templar Science Minister

Comment

I had a blast playing as the romans building my roman empire until.....

HUGE stacks of barbarians would spawn within my cultural borders... First time i thought, hey its sparticus causing some trouble... but it kept happeneing... obviosly a bug there.... cant imagine its planned, its rather tediouse to have to defend each and every city with a stack of pretorians because you never know where the next barb stack will spawn.
              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

Dark Ages, Hauptman, Dark Ages.
                Chaos, Disorder, Discontent, ... no Spartacus required (though possibly he IS involved).

Deal with it by having multiple troops in all your cities. Hopefully you will not be involved in exterior wars at the time. With defensive troops and mobile reserves it is a only a minor problem.

Comment

thank you for your help. I am the main scripter of Greek World.

All your changes make sense (but the fall of Jerusalem corresponds to turn 3, not 5) and I've forwarded them to be included in the next patch (the most significant one, the Jerusalem mistake has already been fixed btw).

About tabs/spaces, I used only tabs.
                  If there is anything different, is probably because I merged another scripter's parts of code and he probably uses a different editor.

btw, apart from this, did you like the scenario?

Comment

This was the FIRST Civ4 game I had a satisfying experience with, though I lost the game (didn't comprehend the victory conditions correctly). Extended it out through the Industrial era (complete with adding coal & oil via WorldBuilder) and had a good wromp!

Comment

Glancing at the script, it looks like starting in AD 1, huge stacks of barbs are supposed to form every turn until the game ends.
                      [Three specfic types]

Originally posted by Hauptman
                      I had a blast playing as the romans building my roman empire until.....

HUGE stacks of barbarians would spawn within my cultural borders... First time i thought, hey its sparticus causing some trouble... but it kept happeneing... obviosly a bug there.... cant imagine its planned, its rather tediouse to have to defend each and every city with a stack of pretorians because you never know where the next barb stack will spawn.
                      Templar Science Minister

Comment

It's very cool just playing Rome and watching the reports of "xxx civ" eliminated come in during the early turns.

(I also unified Italy and captured the Greek Colonies on the islands very early.) I proceeded to wipe out the Gauls. [Three times so far, their empire has refounded itself twice already via the create a set of units spawn that includes a settler]

Post Alexander death, going into world view showed a couple of stray Macedonian cities in the middle east. (I think Petra near Jerusalem & Susa near India, but I'm not positive on the city names.) I'm not sure if that was on purpose.

It also appears that occansionaly the new owner prefers to raize the city than conquer, but I don't know if you can do anything about that.

Originally posted by Rhye
                        thank you for your help. I am the main scripter of Greek World.

All your changes make sense (but the fall of Jerusalem corresponds to turn 3, not 5) and I've forwarded them to be included in the next patch (the most significant one, the Jerusalem mistake has already been fixed btw).

About tabs/spaces, I used only tabs.
                        If there is anything different, is probably because I merged another scripter's parts of code and he probably uses a different editor.

Templar Science Minister

Comment

Working...
                        X