Archipelago Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archipelago Games

I started one of these games as washington the other night, wanting a game that had more emphasis on Naval fights and colonialism, since games involving a new/old world tend to leave the old world overcrowded and no one expanding to new continents with a lot of infighting and games with multiple start continents have the naval fighting at times, assuming people aren't busy with the affairs of their own continent at the time, but little colonial expansion.

In my Archipelago Game (i've yet to finish) it's about 600 AD and there are some significant differences in the way the game has played out already that I can tell from any other land-based game I've played where the option for early invasion or military dominance is available. I failed to launch a CS slingshot but I don't think that getting it would have really benefited me much at all- as without it I still have a significant tech lead at the moment over all other nations in the world.

What the main focus I've noticed is extreme colonial expansion off of your main island (which could mean that you expand to nearby islands or far away), and the major powers are those that can get resources and luxuries as opposed to military powers. As I see it now, in fact that a war is such a costly time investment having just Galleys and Caravels that the only reason to invade someone would be to attain resources not readily available on nearby islands you can just send a settler too.

So basically, it becomes an economic and cultural game as opposed to military game. Though I expect that to change as soon as it becomes easier to invade far off lands with naval forces. Though the game has been pretty fun as far as expanding (I've probably made more settlers this game than any other, usually make about 3 and then start invading people, or get war declared on me, this time I've made about 6 or 7).
    Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!

For the most part, archipelago games tend to be mostly economic games, unless you do a lot of attacking. Ai vs Ai wars never go anywhere and tend to be short. If you have an island to yourself, it's often quite possible to go the whole game and win without ever getting into a single war.

Comment

what difficulty are you playing at

Comment

On archipelago games, the early game is basically a race to see who can get Galleons first in order to settle the uninhabited islands. My personal preference is to use the Islands map with "several extras" selected.
        Those who live by the sword...get shot by those who live by the gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Ijuin
          On archipelago games, the early game is basically a race to see who can get Galleons first in order to settle the uninhabited islands.
          They can often be reached by galleys.

Writing is very important here, I think. With open borders your galleys can make use of the cultural borders of other empires to reach faraway land.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
          X