n00b - I MUST be missing something

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• n00b - I MUST be missing something

OK, I am completly new to Civ and went and bought Civ IV, I have gone through the tutorial and even read some of the manual. I just can't get to grips with the game. I know that people say this is one of the most addictive games but I just cant see why.

Now I know I must be doing somethign wrong, can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks

HH

Keep playin....it'll get you eventually

Comment

For new players, it can be very daunting, just keep at it once you get the hang of it, you'll love it.

On the other hand...

Run...!!!! run!!!! while you still can!!! Don't worry 'bout us, too late for us. You're still in with a chance...take it!!!Ruuuuun!!!.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

haha! thanks guys

Comment

What games do you really love?
          www.neo-geo.com

Comment

Its funny u should ask that, one of my favorite games EVER was a game called mega-lo-mania (Amiga)(http://www.classicgaming.com/amigare...alomania-a.png )

Thats the reason I bought Civ4 because it looked a bit like it. I love resource management games (C&C etc)

Comment

In what way are you struggling? Start off on a low difficulty level, go to the custom settings and only choose one other civ and choose continents. Turn barbarians off and then you should have a whole continent yourself to practice on. Then try some of the tactics on the strategy board to get into the game, gradually increase the difficulty and experiment with the settings to find the options you like best

Comment

It does look similar, never played it though.

For me, the joy in Civ comes from the initial exploration and the race to settle the best city sites.

After that is done, normally once I've got about three cities down I think about how I'll try to win and set about trying to get to the points the tech tree that will help most. Maybe Ironworking, Literature or Theology and then Civil Service, Rifling or Liberalism.

I find that large wars very rapidly suck the fun out of the game, but other people only seem to play for the huge battles. I'd say if you're not having wars, start and see how it is for you. If you are having wars, don't and see how that is.
                www.neo-geo.com

Comment

I guess, the game seems to move so fast through time, seemed like it would be over in a matter of minutes and I could not really follow it, it keeps poppoing up with things to study and I just don't understand the point of these things.

I am a bit puzzled by it all. Should I read the whole manual before playing it?

Comment

Probably better to read the manual if you are new to the series. Also download the latest patch and you can use the epic setting, makes the game last much longer and will give you time to think.

BTW I saw megalomania, sensi soccer and the game the same company did with the soldiers, with its own little console thing for £25 recently

Comment

WHERE?

must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one, must buy one

Comment

found it! play.com

Comment

I really suggest you read the manual. Civ isn't really a game you can jump right into. Even with reading the manual, you're guaranteed not to understand it all too well for your first couple of games.
                          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

K.

Comment

By the way... if you end up liking the game, you really will get addicted. And chances are that you will like it, especially if you liked some other strategy games .
                              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Working...
                              X