Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Civ asks for help in war then signs treaty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ asks for help in war then signs treaty?

Has anybody ever been asked to go to war with some enemy, then the very next turn the civ signs a treaty leaving you to duke it out with the other guy?

I have on several occasions been asked to go to war, but I refuse and the very next turn they get all kissy with each other. It leaves me to wonder what would happen if I DID go to war. Would I be left to fight alone or would my help bolster my allies confidence so that he doesn't sue for peace?
    The Rook

Maybe they signed peace because you refused to help?

Comment

Well, I often ask AIs to go to war with one of my enemies and then make peace the next turn, leaving the AIs to fight it out, so it's only fair...
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

AI asking you to join war and then bail out ASAP happened to me in CivIII all the time, until i decided to never fall for it again.

Comment

My games frequently go like this:

1605 Montezuma has declared war on Cyrus!
          1610 Montezuma: Will you join us in wiping out the Persians?
          --- Me: Can't afford a war right now.
          1615 Montezuma: Will you join us in wiping out the Persians?
          1615 Cyrus: Will you join us in wiping out the Aztecs?
          1625 Cyrus: Will you join us in wiping out the Aztecs?
          1635 Montezuma: We demand you cancel your trade agreement with Cyrus!
          --- Me: Nope, they're my friends!
          1640 Montezuma: Will you join us in wiping out the Persians?
          1650 Cyrus: Will you join us in wiping out the Aztecs?
          --- Me: Fine! I declare war on Montezuma.
          1655 Cyrus and Montezuma have signed a peace agreement.

and then . . .

1665 Cyrus declares war on you!

Comment

XBox Live: VovanSim
            xbox.com (login required)
            Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
            Spore page

Comment

Originally posted by Amarsir
              My games frequently go like this:

1605 Montezuma has declared war on Cyrus!
              1610 Montezuma: Will you join us in wiping out the Persians?
              1615 Montezuma: Will you join us in wiping out the Persians?
              1615 Cyrus: Will you join us in wiping out the Aztecs?
              1625 Cyrus: Will you join us in wiping out the Aztecs?
              1635 Montezuma: We demand you cancel your trade agreement with Cyrus!
              --- Me: Nope, they're my friends!
              1640 Montezuma: Will you join us in wiping out the Persians?
              1650 Cyrus: Will you join us in wiping out the Aztecs?
              --- Me: Fine! I declare war on Montezuma.
              1655 Cyrus and Montezuma have signed a peace agreement.

and then . . .

1665 Cyrus declares war on you!
              Exactly. So it aint just me then. Good.
              The Rook

Comment

Note that when an AI is in a 1v2 situation it becomes very eager to sign for peace!

Cyrus and Monty are fighting:

Cyrus: Declare war on Monty!
                Okay.

Monty now freaks out, he can't sign peace with you (because of 10 turn thing) so he gives Cyrus something for peace.

Cyrus is now not in a war. AI's like being in wars, they ESPECIALLY like 2v1's. Cyrus can't declare war on Monty because of 10 turn peace thing, so instead he declares war on...

Simple AI logic and rather stupid, even if it comes across as downright devious.

Comment

I've had the AI declare peace after I joined them, but never then turn around and declare on me. Of course, sometimes the AI will ask you to fight with them when they first declare war, and when they do that they never back out the next turn. Just in my experience though. I usually don't join the AI unless it's someone that I really need as an ally, or it's against someone that I was going to fight soon anyway.

Comment

I've done quite well going through entire games without any alliances. Avoids any entanglements. This worked great in Civ3 but I'm not entirely sure about Civ4 yet.
                    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                    2004 Presidential Candidate
                    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

My first thougt:How can a thing be both logical and stupid?
                      But then I thought:morality is afterall a survival tool.
                      So,I got it.
                      Best regards,

Comment

I think joining someone in a war should tie those countries together in some kind of treaty, (offensive pact?) so that if one of the treatie partners want to sign a peace treaty/cese fire with the oponent, all parties in the offencive pact must be involved somehow.

If Monte have asked you to join him again Cyrus, and you joins, Monte canot withdraw from the war without your consent, while you can at a diplomatic penalty.

If you on the other hand asked Monte to join you in your fight against Cyrus, you would not be able to sign a peace treaty with Cyrus without Montes consent.
                        Visit my CTP-page and get TileEdit and a few other CTP related programs.
                        Download and test SpriteEdit development build.

Comment

Basically, you're being asked to help because the AI feels overwhelmed. Of course he's going to try to sign peace as soon as he can.
                          1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                          Templar Science Minister
                          AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

The moral is to either join in the war straight away so it is too early for your AI ally to sign peace with the enemy or stay out altogether.

If they have been in a serious war with cities changing hands for some time then one or both probably have few units left beyond city garrisons so ending up at war with both may not be a problem as only one will be in any position to attack you.

It might be nice if one consequence of joining a war at someone else's invitation was that they could not then sign peace for a few turns or alternatively that they are then barred from declaring war on you for 10 turns after they do sign peace. But it's no big deal really, you just need to be prepared to deal with a former ally stabbing you in the back.
                            Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin the Dane
                              I think joining someone in a war should tie those countries together in some kind of treaty, (offensive pact?) so that if one of the treatie partners want to sign a peace treaty/cese fire with the oponent, all parties in the offencive pact must be involved somehow.

If Monte have asked you to join him again Cyrus, and you joins, Monte canot withdraw from the war without your consent, while you can at a diplomatic penalty.

If you on the other hand asked Monte to join you in your fight against Cyrus, you would not be able to sign a peace treaty with Cyrus without Montes consent.
                              That makes entirely too much sense.
                              The Rook

Comment

Working...
                              X