System requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System requirements

Sorry if this has already been discussed - I did a search, but didn't find the answer I needed.

I'm planning on buying a aptop soon, and want one that will run Civ4. (And hopefully SMAC - I've hardly played it since getting a WinXP computer, and the patch never worked for me. Maybe it was the graphics card? But that's another matter).

Anyway:

The Civ4 website says I need a:

1.2 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon processor or equivalent (1.8Ghz recomended)

DirectX 9.0c-compatible 64 MB video card with Hardware T&L support ( GeForce 2/Radeon 7500 or better)

I'm rather out of the loop when it comes to computer hardware, so I don't know what counts as "equivilent" to those.

Would it run on this?
    Dell InspironTM 1300
    Intel® Celeron® M Processor 370 (1.50GHz, 1MB L2 cache, 400MHz FSB
    Integrated Intel® 900 GMA with up to 128MB of shared video memory

Or even:
    Fujitsu Amilo L7300 Laptop Computer
    Intel Celeron M with 1.3 GHz
    Graphics Chip: VIA PN800
    Upto 64MB video memory (shared)

Thanks,

Anything that is integrated video card with shared memory sucks. And it won't run Civ4, either, except the newest Intel ones.

See, the problem is that integrated video cards STILL don't support T&L, which has been supported by real video cards for 6 years. Another problem is that these integrated video cards steal some of your system RAM for their own needs. So if you have 256 MB memory, you'll actually have 192 MB available to you, because 64 MB will be stolen by the video card.

So, what you need is a laptop with a real video card - Radeon Mobility something, for example. BTW, you'd also want to list the RAM when mentioning specifications, it's important.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Memory was 512MB. (I didn't mention it because that is the "recomended" amount).

Okay, maybe I'm asking about this the wrong way. Perhaps I should instead ask:

What would be the cheapest laptop that could run Civ4?
      Last edited by iapetus556; March 3, 2006, 18:04.

Comment

I believe that first one would run it but very poorly.

See what you can find for laptops with a video card. To run it even decently you'd be looking at atleast $1000 for a laptop. $1200 would be a lot better.

Some tips though, look at Turions instead of Pentium Ms, it would be much easier to find laptops with video cards on Turions instead of Pentium Ms, also they are cheaper.

Comment

Just today I got a DX9 error that said out of video memory. I have a 2.8G dual core, 2G ram, and a GF6600 and was at 100BC on a standard map. I may have deserved that because I maxed out all of the game video settings (1600x1200, anti-aliasing, etc.) just to see what would happen.
          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
          2004 Presidential Candidate
          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

How much memory could it require, 6600 regular version has 256MB right?

Comment

I believe I have the 128MB version.
              "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
              "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
              2004 Presidential Candidate
              2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Re: System requirements

Originally posted by iapetus556
                Sorry if this has already been discussed - I did a search, but didn't find the answer I needed.

I'm planning on buying a aptop soon, and want one that will run Civ4. (And hopefully SMAC - I've hardly played it since getting a WinXP computer, and the patch never worked for me. Maybe it was the graphics card? But that's another matter).

Anyway:

The Civ4 website says I need a:

1.2 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon processor or equivalent (1.8Ghz recomended)

DirectX 9.0c-compatible 64 MB video card with Hardware T&L support ( GeForce 2/Radeon 7500 or better)

I'm rather out of the loop when it comes to computer hardware, so I don't know what counts as "equivilent" to those.

Would it run on this?
                Dell InspironTM 1300
                Intel® Celeron® M Processor 370 (1.50GHz, 1MB L2 cache, 400MHz FSB
                Integrated Intel® 900 GMA with up to 128MB of shared video memory

Or even:
                Fujitsu Amilo L7300 Laptop Computer
                Intel Celeron M with 1.3 GHz
                Graphics Chip: VIA PN800
                Upto 64MB video memory (shared)

Thanks,
                None of those listed above will run the game. And the minimum/recommended specs are too low to be able to run it without glitches... I have a P4 3 Ghz with 1 Gb of RAM and 256 Mb Nvidia GeForce 6600 graphics. And it still struggles on a huge highlands map, especially in the later game...
                I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

umm those celerons don't have the grunt i think they are only equivalent to a P3 at the same speed if i remeber correctly. These in particular suffer a performance hit of about 30 to 50 percent relative to the full P4 at the same speed

anyting faster than a geforce MX 440 should be ok its "roughly" equivalent to a R7500

Personally i would recomend a new machine as you won't beable to put an AGP card into either of those motherboards as they don't have the AGP port

try to get atleast 1 gig of RAM your hard drive will thank you. though i don't know if there are any Vcards for laptops if there are get a dedicated if possible

as a guide my machine runs fine without glitches though i have yet to try a higlands huge map it is
                  AMD 2700+
                  1 Gb RAM DDR400
                  ATI R9600 128 Mb

Comment

Working...
                  X