Building Roads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jvstin
    Enh. The forest growth seems too quirky and random for me to count on. And, I am not a chopper, I am a strong believer in holding out until getting lumbermills, and spamming them all over the place. So unless I really need to clear the forest to get the city to grow (or build enough cottages to keep financially afloat), I leave as much forest as I can anyhow.
    Forests seem to grow back much more on the slower modes; in my current game, on marathon mode, they're growing back so fast that it's 350 BC, I've already made 7 chops on 3 squares of forest, and 1 of them has already grown back and is ready to be chopped again. It seems like, in the BC times at least, if you cut down one square of forest but leave the square surrounded by other forests, and don't put any improvements down at all, the speed of regrowth on marathon during the BC turns seems to be really high. Either that or I've been incredibly lucky this game.

Comment

Well, there may be something to that. I play on Marathon almost exclusively, so maybe the regrowth levels are in fact faster.

What I'm saying is this; if the road is useful, or if the square is going to have some value (lumbermill, pop-attempt mining, or a quicker route) then absolutely you're right, you might as well have a worker road it up.

On the other hand if you've got even an off chance of generating a free forest and your other option is a road you'll never use, then leave the forest for chopping later. On a one-square basis, it's not that big a deal. If you prefer full-cross spread out cities like I do though, you'll probably have five or ten choppable forests ready to go at all times. It's just not a bad idea to keep them in reserve. The higher the level you play on, the more even a 50 or 60 shield chop is going to mean to you.
      Veni, Vedi, Veresetti

Comment

Originally posted by tijuanacowboy
        Speaking of roads, I was just playing a game, had open friends with the Asoka and he helpfully built a railroad directly through my territory to connect one city on the other side of my territory. That was pretty cool of him.
        I do that all the time. Makes my advance a lot faster when I decide to end their puny civilisation.

Comment

Am I the only one who does this? If an AI plops down a city at all close to my territory, my workers rush over and chop all the forests just outside of his cultural boundaries, hopefully before they expand. No sense in letting the AI have all those hammers....
          Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?

Comment

Originally posted by Hayek

I do that all the time. Makes my advance a lot faster when I decide to end their puny civilisation.
            I bet you don't call them that at deity level

Comment

Forests will regrow over roads. I've had it happen before. It won't grow back over other improvements in my experience.
              Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Comment

Originally posted by dac
                Am I the only one who does this? If an AI plops down a city at all close to my territory, my workers rush over and chop all the forests just outside of his cultural boundaries, hopefully before they expand. No sense in letting the AI have all those hammers....
                It's sensible idea that. My workers occasionally get "evicted" out while "on-the-job" but that's just bad luck. The only other way to get those forest back is through "cultural warfare" which is normally quite expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by couerdelion

I bet you don't call them that at deity level
                  Only on Civ2 Deity Somehow they made the gods a lot more powerful between 2 and 3

Comment

Originally posted by dac
                    Am I the only one who does this?
                    Hardly! I was just doing that last night. I may leave the trees alone if I expect to get them back quickly by other means.
                    "...your Caravel has killed a Spanish Man-o-War."

Comment

You should always have a road on your borders that may be attacked. 2 spaces width should be enough. Speed advantage on a home territory is a huge boost for defenders.
                      Knowledge is Power

Comment

Working...
                      X