Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What do you get from Liberalism?

Originally posted by kiky
    Depending on the game, mostly I'll take Astronomy to conquer barbs on the new world.

Sometimes I'll take Nationalism, if I really desperate for Cavalry.

What would you get as free tech from Liberalism?
    What is the most expensive tech possible to get while playing huge-terra-monarch-12 AI ?
    I pulled Democracy with it once, but that was a beautiful start, a few lucky early huts and it involved me avoiding Luberalism for a bit because I mistakenly believed that someone else had already grabbed it.

Very nice being able to get Democracy for free and change several civic selections in one shot.

Comment

Nationalism is usually the most expensive one at that point in my tech approach, so i take it, just to make the most beakers from it... simple as that... i dont aim for anything when i do that

Comment

I usually get Astronomy for the observatories. It really helps speed us research for some head bashing.

Comment

Usually Astronomy here as well, but it depends on the map. If it's Pangea, there's little point in taking that and I'll usually go Nationalism instead. I figure since it's free, I may as well go for the most expensive (at least somewhat) relevant tech....

Comment

Eluciv, Astronomy is very useful on all maps because of it's position in the tech tree. It's required for Physics which in turn is required by something like half of all techs past that point.
            1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
            Templar Science Minister
            AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka II

You also need to be confident in your tech lead to research Gunpowder before Liberalism.

Usually, the choices offered to me are Nationalism, Astronomy, Gunpowder, and Print Press. I take Printing Press for the +1 gold in villages and towns, and it leads to replaceable parts. Nationalism or Astronomy are not on my tech paths usually. It depends if your game extends to the modern era of course. But even then, Nationalism or Astronomy never seem to be priorities.
              If we want to be pendantic, it's actually possible to get Liberalism without being able to research Nationalism, this is Paper via Theology, without getting Divine Right or Civil Service. While a rare thing to do, I have done it in at least one game. (probably no tech trading)

oh - there is actually one other option, Printing Press. This requires Machinery. Printing press can be tempting if you want to quickly get sci.method or replaceable parts.

Comment

oh - there is actually one other option, Printing Press. This requires Machinery. Printing press can be tempting if you want to quickly get sci.method or replaceable parts.
                ah this is interesting.
                I usually try to research Machinery after CS slingshot. Using this path seems will allow me to get to Communism fast.
                I will try this path.

Comment

However, you get to communism faster by picking up Chemistry as the free tech, since Chemistry is much more expensive than printing press. But Chemistry also has more expensive pre-req techs, engineering and gunpowder.
                  Also, PP's +1 to villages&towns will give something like +10-20% to research rate, so taking it isn't a bad comprimise.

Comment

Working...
                  X