Rather good start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rather good start

Had a rather good starting position come up and wanted to share it. The stats are: Rome/Prince/Normal speed/Standard Pangea with high sea levels. I used custom game and turned off barbs and selected new random seed (yeah, I know.)

The start is on a river (no flood plains though) with three gems nearby. There is also stone visible to the south. I won't tell you where the iron or copper is but you won't have to go far to find it!

I pulled off a nice cs slingshot with it and was even able to build the pyramids. It is rather nice to have a game where you get more GE's than GP's!

I am not all the way done with it yet so I will have to post the final results. Play it and see how you could do.
    Attached Files

If you're interested in really good starts, there are some in here:

including the one attached here:

which is the best I've ever had (Prince, Washington I think, continents, standard across the board).

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I saw the first one when it was posted originally. I did not bother with it since I had a hard time beliving that it was not worldbuilder enhanced. The best I have managed to find that was similar was one with two gold hills and a gem.

I had intented to try yours when I first saw it but just never got around to it, and I don't like playing washington. Now I think I will!

I usually regenerate until I am on a spot with flood plains and one or more gold hills.

If you want to see a freaky spot, open mine in worldbuilder and look at the spot Montezuma starts in.

Comment

I may post some of my starts later. One of of them has 5 plains hill gold mines in a cluster. That's not really my start, but that's close enough for me to grab.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

That's a lotta gold. Is there enough food to use all those hills w/o killing the city's growth (or, alternatively, can you build cities so as to split the 5 gold hills between 2 of them?)?

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I finished mine last night. I did not realize I only had three turns left to a diplomatic victory. My economy was not quite as good as I wanted as my final gnp was only in the mid 800's. I have pulled off a couple in the thousands before though.

I started another one I thought was going to be good with flood plains and two gold hills. I quit for the night when the chinese attacked while I was attacking Montezuma (got sandwidched in between) around 25 ad. Not sure if I will play that one more or not.

Comment

I can remember a start once where I had city isolated in the south with sheep, 3 marble and 4 fur!!! Eight specials in total and nowhere near enough food to work them all.

I did once find a site for a second city with 5 FP, Oasis and 4 gold hills. It was some distance from the capital but had enough potential for me to send my settler there first. Later on I moved the capital.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                That's a lotta gold. Is there enough food to use all those hills w/o killing the city's growth (or, alternatively, can you build cities so as to split the 5 gold hills between 2 of them?)?
                There's also a cattle tile in the fat cross, but other than that, I couldn't use all of the gold mines until much later in the game.

A few flood plains tiles would be fantastic.

Fortunately, two religions were founded there. So it's my $$$ city by far.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                X