No announcement yet.

Cruise missiles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cruise missiles were so annoying in civ2, but even I think they should be included.

But I'm kind of unhappy with the way the modern age plays out in civ4. I never get any time to use any units. I don't even get modern armour until like 20 turns before the game ends. I really should disable spaceship victory, but that still doesn't help me and the AI's research any faster.

Comment

But I'm kind of unhappy with the way the modern age plays out in civ4. I never get any time to use any units. I don't even get modern armour until like 20 turns before the game ends. I really should disable spaceship victory, but that still doesn't help me and the AI's research any faster.
      Yeah I was bothered by this too. The reason I was bothered by the lack of a cruise missile is that I've been playing a game with some alternate starting settings (Noble, Pangea, Modern start, Epic, Aggressive AI) so that I could get the full feeling of extended modern warfare. On these settings it takes a looooooong time to research techs in the beginning, so you can get a lot of time in to play with tanks, fighters, bombers artillery and marines. A drawback (for me so far, at least) has been the length of time you're stuck with regular bombers, trying to get past SAM infantry and fighters. Over half of my bombers are stuck healing every turn, and here's where cruise missiles could really shine. I wouldn't bother using my bombers in situations where a missile would be much more effective (It's really annoying to lose 2-3 bombers for a few turns when all you're trying to do is destroy some cows! )

Comment

, just the thought of the U.S. sending $ 1 million dollar cruise missiles to destroy cows makes me laugh. But it's a good point.

Comment

Am I right in remember that cruise missiles weren't originally in Civ3 but were added in an expansion?

I think it was Civ3: PTW.

Then again Civ3 modern age required all the lightening up it could get.

And weren't ICBMs added into Civ3 in an expansion, too? Wasn't there originally only tactical nukes?

Comment

Ha! I was totally wrong. ICBMs and cruise missiles were both in the original.

Cruise missiles cost 50 'shields', bombard strength of 20 (greater than radar artillery), and a range of 3.

Sounds good.

Comment

I think cruise missiles would be a good addition. Once the tech is researched, they can be carried by surface warships and submarines, also modern aircraft. I would say allow them to destroy a city building, but not damage or destroy units. This way, they may be great to have and probably not too hard to get the AI to use them properly.
              -PrinceBimz-

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                cruise missiles were so annoying in civ2, but even I think they should be included.

Why don't you just try an epic or marathon speed game?
                -PrinceBimz-

Comment

Originally posted by Son of David
                  Cruise missiles cost 50 'shields', bombard strength of 20 (greater than radar artillery), and a range of 3.
                  Range 3. Wow, my original estimate is right on target.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by PrinceBimz

Why don't you just try an epic or marathon speed game?
                    marathon is the only speed I play. Despite building statue of liberty in the 1400's, I still only get the tech for modern armour around 2040 if at all. I usually neglect that tech in my attempt to build the spaceship on time.

Comment

Interesting... i remember someone saying, that the modern age whizes past too fast even on marathon... BTW in my game i changed the observatories to only give 20% research bonus, but 1 culture... tweaks things a tiny tadd towards cultural victory (which i still never do) and away from space race... but then again i removed the health-minus for labs... they come so late, that their building time is penalty enough i think...

Comment

Working...
                      X