Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Love the smell of burnt video cards in the morning.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Love the smell of burnt video cards in the morning.

I fried my ATI 9200 yesterday and now its time to get a new one. I haven't been keeping up with the times though, so I need some suggestions on what cards are good.

My MB is a Gigabyte K8NS Ultra-939 with AGP8X so that's what I need to buy for. I have an Athlon 64 3800 processor and a gig of RAM.

I am not a top of the line kind of guy. I'm looking for something under $300 that is reliable, and won't be too obsolete in 6 months. Also, I don't want to have to get all crazy with cooling requirements.

Your suggestions will be appreciated.
    The Rook

A 6600 or even better, the 6800 cards should be just fine.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

My personal opinion is that, right now, the 6600 cards are a perfect balance of power and price. They're not the most powerful card on the market, but are sufficient even for graphically heavy games, and the price tag is acceptable.
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

6600s are decent.

Personally, I think the 6800GS is the best deal out there, especially the ones made by XFX. I recently built a new computer with one and I'm loving it

Comment

I was looking at the 6800GS from advice I got on other sites. Your replies have pretty much confirmed my decision.

Thanks a plenty.
          The Rook

Comment

It may not be your graphcs card that got borked. It could be the slot. I have seen that happen.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

It was the card. The 6800 works fine.
              The Rook

Comment

Working...
              X