Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Civilization IV Wins Readers Choice Awards at Wargamer.com!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nikolai
    Indeed did it lack the little extra that made Civ1/2, and now 4, great. It was a letdown in that respect. But still it was an okay game, and many civvers got to know Civ as a great franchise through Civ3.
    Granted. Not everyone around here is even old enough to have even played the original Civ or Civ 2. Rome on 640k a day, eh?

Comment

Playing (or replaying) old games on old comps is quite the nostalgia. I wonder if I can find my old Amiga somewhere...
      I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Civ4 still lacks a few of the touches that made Civ2 special.

But the biggest plus in Civ2's favour was the fact that it didn't take up loads of system resources. So you could have a World War II scenario with a full-sized map and hundreds upon hundreds of units and still have enough computer power to be running dozens of things in the background.

I'm also not sure that the Civ3/4 border system is so much of an improvement over Civ2 as it's been said. In Civ3/4 you are not able to claim land unless you have culture in a nearby city, whereas in 'real life' if you have the military to support your claims you can claim vast tracts of land for nation.

The next big evolution ought to be towards a system where you can claim land, and negotiate contracts with the AI. Cultural boundaries are too arbitrary.

Comment

Originally posted by Son of David
          But the biggest plus in Civ2's favour was the fact that it didn't take up loads of system resources. So you could have a World War II scenario with a full-sized map and hundreds upon hundreds of units and still have enough computer power to be running dozens of things in the background.
          You know, back in 1996 some people where still running 386's.

Comment

@zoid : Get an emulator - it might be hard to find the kickroms though - but i managed to get them all, so its do-able (tho illegal, if you dont own them in the first place)

Comment

Originally posted by Nacht

You know, back in 1996 some people where still running 386's.
              There´s always people who hang on to old relics for one reason or another

Comment

Originally posted by Unimatrix11
                @zoid : Get an emulator - it might be hard to find the kickroms though - but i managed to get them all, so its do-able (tho illegal, if you dont own them in the first place)
                I´ll see what I can find, but the hardware is a vital part of the nostalgia feeling. I have a arcade game emulator with some classic games, but it´s not the same. Not like the actual game and a bunch of loose change

Comment

Just downloaded the dos-box for my gf so she can play the oregon trail - man i am such a thread-jacker

Comment

Working...
                  X