Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilization IV and Cedega

Just noticed this on CFC.

I'm sure the both of you will enjoy the news.

Originally Posted by Gamasutra
    TransGaming Technologies has released Cedega 5.1, which features support for some of the newest PC titles such as Sid Meier's Civilization IV, FIFA 06 and Need for Speed: Most Wanted. Cedega allows games originally created for the Windows platform to run on Linux, straight out of the box. Other titles supported on Cedega 5.1 include Battlefield 2, Dungeon Siege II, City of Villains, Madden NFL 2006, World of WarCraft, Half-Life 2, Guild Wars, and many others. Cedega 5.1 builds on this growing list of game titles with new features that improve overall game play.

From the Transgaming website:

Civilization IV

* This game must be installed in Windows 98 compatiblity mode to ensure that a number of required DLLs are installed.
    * Users MUST choose to accept the installation of DirectX 9.0C to play this game. Please carefully read the associated EULA and only accept if you meet all DirectX license requirements. Note that the DirectX installer prompt may be obscured by an incorrectly drawn installer window.
    * This game must be run in Windows XP compatibility mode to pass copy protection.
    * The 1.52 game patch is highly recommended as it resolves a number of gameplay and performance issues.
    * The background on the loading screen may not always be displayed properly.
    * The game will warn about being unable to start voice capture unless Full Duplex mode is properly configured in cedega and for your sound system.
    * Medium or low detail is recommeded particularly later in the game to improve performance.
    * ATI users should disable VBO for this title.

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Wanna bet it works better than in native XP?
    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Good news... though since Cedega isn't free and the game will probably have worse performance, I'm sticking to XP for playing Civ. Got to use it for at lest something, right ?
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Cedega is free -- if you can figure out how to compile it from CVS.

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
          Wanna bet it works better than in native XP?
          Any sane person would take that bet

Comment

Awesome. Maybe I can remove Windows from my gaming system at home, at long last
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Re: Linux Users! Cedega 5.1 released, CivIV supported

Originally posted by alva
              Originally Posted by Gamasutra
              Cedega allows games originally created for the Windows platform to run on Linux, straight out of the box.
              Wow, it didn't even work on windows straight out of the box for some people

Comment

[Sava]Your computer sux![/Sava]

(\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Civilization IV and Cedega

Hiho,
                  all I can say is, it works, the fonts look nicer, but its a bit slower than under Windows XP. Sometimes, however, it won't recognize that my dvd-rom is the correct one...

Have fun,
                  CU Tyler

Update:
                  Doh! I hit the "new thread" button... argh. please delete this thread or append it to the first cedega thread *shame on me*.

Comment

So, did you have to do anything extra to get it to work?

I believe that Cedega has problems with the CD-checks of many games, though..

Comment

Hiho,

Originally posted by Solver
                      So, did you have to do anything extra to get it to work?

I believe that Cedega has problems with the CD-checks of many games, though..
                      no not at all. It went straight out of the box. Whats simply unnerving is that sometimes Civ4 accepts my DVD and sometimes it does not. I can't figure out any pattern behind it. However, I have never had such problems with other copy protected games, such as Diablo II.

So long,
                      CU Tyler

Comment

Great . Did you pay for Cedega or are you using a free version?

I'm really going to try this at some point, but I'm usually pretty poor at getting all those emulators/compatibility layers to run.

Comment

Hi,
                          I paid for it. AFAIK the CVS version does not yet support Civ4.

Give it a try. This emulator stuff isn't that complicated. In fact, I don't use Windows anymore, except for compiling some stuff to ensure it works.

So long,
                          CU gg

Comment

Well, I'm certainly not going to pay for Cedega, I have a copy of Windows after all, so I can stand booting into it to play if there's no working free alternative. Besides, the CVS version will also support Civ4 eventually, I guess .

Comment

Working...
                            X