Clear All

• Civ IV Keeps rebooting my PC!

Athalon 1900+
    250 gig hard drive
    1 gig ram
    ATI Radeon 9600XT w/ 128 meg ram
    Windows XP SP2
    page file set by system on a drive with 10+gig available

In the middle of my game, without warning, my PC will just reboot. WTF!
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

I have the latest drivers for my system, as well as the latest DirectX.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

This is infuriating. I uninstalled and reinstalled the game, my video grivers, and increased my page file to 3 gigs!

It still reboots my PC within the 1st couple of turns.

AND THIS WASN"T HAPPENING YESTERDAY!!!!

Comment

This might be a hardware problem. Try reseating your video card (plus any other cards in your system) and RAM chips. Other possible causes are overheating or power supply problem.
        "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
        -- Kosh

Comment

I just had a hardware diagnostic run on my PC last week. Everything checked out.

I'm thinking/hoping it's the latest ATI drivers, Catalyst 6.2. I'm gonna give the Omega version a shot and see if that helps. Though why this started today, instead of early, I don't know.

Comment

Well, that wasn't it.

Comment

Sounds like your CPU overheating, che.

Clean the inside of the computer case, make sure all the fans work at maximum efficiency. It maybe a good idea to remove the CPU cooler and apply a new layer of thermo plaste. You may even consider adding extra case fans if there's room.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I got two case fans (one in, one out, on opposite sides), and I have a monitor watching the CPU. It never gets into the danger zone (it's an older Athalon, so it does get hot, but it's fine up to 70C).

Though I did have the air conditioning off yesterday.

Comment

Actually, that seems to have been the problem. I decided to run my cpy temp monitor and it raised the temp of my machine 10C. Yesterday that woulda put it into the red, which would shut down my machine.

Comment

Haha.. so now every time you want to play civ you have to turn the air conditioning on? Priceless..

I would try installing a new fan or some sort of improved cooling system. It would probably be cheaper then running the AC nonstop anyway.
                    I used to be Darkknight.. many many moons ago. "CTP2 is almost out!!" time.

Comment

I'll install new cooling when I buy a new cpu. It's not fun to put a heat sink on an athalon. I only want to have to do it once.

Comment

Get more fans for the case should help.
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                        X