Big into Jaguars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big into Jaguars

I played my first game as Monty at the weekend and was a little unhappy with the roll of the dice as he never does well against me and I’ve seen his unique unit take such a pasting on the forums. Still, play on I thought.

Well it turns out he’s great!

My approach was pretty simple, having established that I had company on my island I decided to get to war. I slapped down Stonehenge to get the culture flowing from whatever I was about to conquer and then got down two high production cities while bee-lining to iron working.

By the time I got iron working I had three cities, two workers and three barracks. I had also met Peter, Huyan and Saladin. Plenty of targets but a big island with plenty of iron and copper for all my foes to build axemen with. Ah well, Saladin didn’t have Bronze Working yet, or if he did, he wasn’t rocking slavery so I picked on him first. His towns were guarded with one or two archers and happily mostly built in jungle. Without axemen he was pretty easy to turn over. I captured plenty of workers and six or seven cities to supplement my own, including an absolutely beautiful Mecca, six sea resources, four mines and sugar. Wonderful!

Huyan did have Bronze Working now, but I could see he hadn’t yet hooked up his copper so no axemen there and my Jaguars were quite upgraded now. I took three cities on the first two turns of war and split his empire in two and deprived him of his only copper source. He still had two iron but I was not at all sure he had iron working yet. Anyway, though he had two defenders per town one was always a Quecha. In the end, taking out the Incans was easier than the Arabs.

By this point there was no doubt that Peter had Iron Working but also, the reason I’d left him till last was that his only supply of copper and iron were both at the southern tip of the landmass and not hugely attractive to him. In the end, I was able to declare war on him and march through his lands before he managed to hook them up and start to counter me. Truthfully though, by that time he hadn’t a chance. I had a huge army of highly promoted soldiers, probably a dozen Jaguars at that point with City Raider 3, Strength 2 and Cover plus a large support of my own axemen and archers.

In short, I’m not sure if I got lucky or if being able to take a near iron age unit to war a thousand years before your rivals is really the advantage it turned into. Combatwise, it felt even more powerful than a successful slingshot giving you macemen early. Admittedly I don’t then have the benefit of having Civil Service or what have you, but I did have Hinduism, Confucianism, Taoism, Islam and Stonehenge, Great Library, Angkor Wat, Chichen Itza, Great Lighthouse (captured), Hanging Gardens plus something like forty cities by the year 500 which I’d say is a more than fair trade.

All played on Continents, Marathon, Monarch.
    You got lucky, Jaguars are rubbish.
    42.22%
    Jaguars are actually good.
    26.67%
    A banana could have done better.
    31.11%
    www.neo-geo.com

What was your maintinace costs like?

An early rush with an iron working UU is quite nice. I prefer using Rome and the Praetorians though. I am usually able to pull off a slingshot and Praetorian rush when I do that.

My next game is going to be a Jaguar rush though

Comment

Pretty much any rush on marathon will work (monarch), as the AI can't defend in time. Go ahead try it with anything you will see.

Comment

It's a small window, but if you rush with Jagus pretty fast they are hard to stop. Oh and on Marathon the Jag rush is horribly easy and on continents too, piece of cake man.

Comment

Originally posted by poiuyt00
          Pretty much any rush on marathon will work (monarch), as the AI can't defend in time. Go ahead try it with anything you will see.
          Warriors?

Comment

As I said..."pretty much" anything above warriors and archers. Its the rush, the AI can't build to overcome in time, and won't chop to build defences like you chop to create a rush.

Comment

Originally posted by samspock
              What was your maintinace costs like?

An early rush with an iron working UU is quite nice. I prefer using Rome and the Praetorians though. I am usually able to pull off a slingshot and Praetorian rush when I do that.

My next game is going to be a Jaguar rush though
              I was running 0% science for about two turns and had to make peace a few times just for the cash settlement.

Having all those religions sorted me out though as I built shrines, that was half the reason for grabbing Hinduism and the Henge.
              www.neo-geo.com

Comment

That would be my question too, what were the maintenance costs like? 40 cities that early is pretty amazing, but usually they incur staggering expenses, unless you're organized and then with courthouses and a healthy number of cottages back home. I usually have about 33 by the end of a domination game on pangea. Usually, there are only about 50 cities on all of pangea. It sounds like you need to play emperor if you had it that easy, and building all of those wonders too. Nice.

Comment

Jaguars may be good, but marathon speed helped you a lot. Do it on normal speed if you dare. I don't say you will fail but your benefits will be much less.

Comment

Happy to post the 4000bc position if anyone would be interested. It's the year 1000ad now in the game, I have four shrines, science at 80% and I'm making nearly 200gold a turn. Also, Ghandi is about to realise that being Buddhist is wrong.

It is true though, it was very touch and go for a while on the costs. I think I probably got pottery in in the nick of time and had to spam missionaries like crazy to sort out my funds. Even at 0% science I was losing 40 a turn at one point. You get to a point where your only income is capturing cities and you can't afford to have an army big enough to capture cities with...

I would have survived without capturing the Great Lighthouse because by that time there were only three hostile cities on the continent but I wonder if I'd have had to stay at 0% science for so long that I would have been too backward by the time I met the rest of the world?
                    www.neo-geo.com

Comment

Question: What happens when you have zero gold and you are -40 per turn at 0% science?

Comment

Originally posted by Alkis2
                        Question: What happens when you have zero gold and you are -40 per turn at 0% science?
                        The computer disbands as many units as has to to make your books balance and your workers strike. It means that as your military juggernaught advances through enemy lands it can have only a few turns to actually conquer before your civ's coffers can no longer support it.

Because you can't sell buildings anymore you don't have that done to you, which is nice.
                        www.neo-geo.com

Comment

Actually it just sells 1 to 3 units, even -70gp.

I know that, since it happens often when I play Allies in Desert War scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by player1
                            Actually it just sells 1 to 3 units, even -70gp.

I know that, since it happens often when I play Allies in Desert War scenario.
                            Sure, but it'll keep doing that every turn till the books balance.
                            www.neo-geo.com

Comment

Which is Desert War scenario is never since you produce untis faster then you lose them by disbanding...

Comment

Working...
                              X