New concept : airspace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New concept : airspace

I think that late game air combat has been neglected in civ 4.In game I also think it is odd that a civ in the modern era can't determine who enters its' own air space while ships cannot enter someones waters without open borders or war excepting the caravel and sub.

After all in gulf war 1 and 2 the US had to negotiate for rights to over fly nations bordering iraq. Also wars were very nearly started over this sort of thing.

It wouldn't be hard to add this for air units as it already exists for land and sea units.

It would probably implemented with flight or and work similarlarly to open borders you would have to get permission to overfly territory. In addition airlift would require that you secure permission with neighbours before you could use those squares as a route to travel through, this would work similarly to the trade routes for sea and air travel now.Also if the only available route is near enemy cities or units that can intercept air units there could also be a risk of the transport being shot down.

i think that this would be workable and would add some new diplomatic challenges in the bussines of waging war.

Wouldn't that violate the KISS principle?

In any case, a simple solution to avoid recon would be an automatic interception of "unknown" flyby's (within interception range of course). Whether it be peace or war with the target civ.
    He who knows others is wise.
    He who knows himself is enlightened.
    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Ah, the KISS principle! Haven't seen that mentioned much for years now. Weird actually, considering how important it seemed to people.

But as for this suggestion, I fail to see how this would be needed. Ships and land units are okay, they move around in a way that makes this a valid point, but planes have to be stationed inside cities, so that would make this point moot as I see it.
      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

KISS?
        I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Hehe.... No.
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

Keep It Simple, Stupid!
            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

will someone define KISS principal so we can get back on topic please?

Comment

I think airspace would be good.

If you ar bombing an improvement within the city radius, I think there should be a chance that you get shot down. I also think the planes on an interceptor mission should be able to intercept multiple times a turn. Either that or make getting shot down more painful.
                Early to rise, Early to bed.
                Makes you healthy and socially dead.

Comment

Originally posted by zombielordzero
                  will someone define KISS principal so we can get back on topic please?
                  By all means! Just check the post right above you, good sir.

Comment

Originally posted by The keeper
                    If you ar bombing an improvement within the city radius, I think there should be a chance that you get shot down. I also think the planes on an interceptor mission should be able to intercept multiple times a turn. Either that or make getting shot down more painful.
                    Erm... in all my games in which I reached the modern age, and did air raids on improvements and units outside the cityrange, I sometimes did get intercepted. Also, if I bombard a city with 10 bombers where perhaps 2 fighters are stationed and 3 are intercepted (by fighters), then those fighters definitely can fly out more then once in the defense stage.
                    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

The kiss principle is keep it simple so that it can be fun or easy for the user to understand, and also easy to implement if possible.

I was thinking more about a set of circumstances where a civ won't let sea or land units in but is still at peace (no open borders). For example as it stands you can park a carrier loaded with fighters next to the border and then over-fly your rivals territory to gather intell without aggravating them. As civs without air defense capabilities cannot control air space it would either have to apply for civs with air capabilites or be brought in as a check.

al though i am probably off the function of identifyng overflight already exist through sea+land units. Airborne resupply is a new element but the trade algorithms may also be used for this purpose its impact would be to make the game more accurate if maybe more annoying(also a new challenge).

i would think that spying on someones territory in this way could also have a diplomatic penalty or be a trigger for war.

Tattila: ROFL

maybe it can also be discussed/moved in/to the mods section. it might also be in an expansion later if it is appropiate.

Comment

Working...
                      X