Memory leak/Lag question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory leak/Lag question

I see people posting about their huge map/18 civ games and I wonder if everyone is seeing the same sort of late-game lag I am.

Even on standard maps, once I get late into the game, I start getting 1-3 second lag in the city screens when I click on a building to add it to the build queue. Exiting the program and restarting civ helps alleviate this, but it eventually comes back.

Is this happening to everyone, or am I just unlucky?
    If you're not a rebel at 20 you have no heart. If you're still a rebel at 30 you have no brain.

No, it happens to me too.

Comment

I have to remember to restart my games every now and then in order to make sure it survives building a wonder. And the error it posts on the crashes is always a memory alocation error.
      Visit my CTP-page and get TileEdit and a few other CTP related programs.
      Download and test SpriteEdit development build.

Comment

I do get lags from time to time, but it seems like those lags are more random than based on the size of the map, and how far in the game you are. In my games when someone decleares war on me there's a high chance the game will become very slow, usually it helps to alt-tab back into Windows, and after a few seconds back into the game again, then it runs as normal. If that doesn't work, a restart will
        This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

For some reason it always starts at the beginning of the turn, after the messages, though I no idea what really causes it.
          Reloading is the only thing that helps.

If you have at least a Gig og memory, turn your virtual memory off, it helps quite alot too.
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I don't mind the beginning of turn lag, it's the 1-3 second delay every time I add an item to the build queue that really ticks me off. I've quit quite a few games in the 1700s because of it.
            If you're not a rebel at 20 you have no heart. If you're still a rebel at 30 you have no brain.

Comment

Sorry, what I mean is that the lag thingy starts at the start of a turn and then doesn't go away anymore until you reload.

Btw: isn't the quote from your sig something like:

When not a communist/lefty at 20 you have no heart, when still a communist/lefty at 40, you're a fool.
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

It's a paraphrase of an apocryphal quote attributed to Winston Churchill. I've heard several different variations of "what he really said", but it doesn't appear he ever actually said it.

But yeah, that's the general sentiment of the quote... the idealism of youth giving way to the practicalities of the real world as one grows older.
                Last edited by gilfan; February 6, 2006, 09:35.

Comment

The more i reload the more lag i get, especially noticeable late game.

Comment

By reload, I do mean restart, as in: close down civ completely and then start it up again.

Comment

Have you tried to alt-tab into windows and back again?

Comment

The very thought of what that would do to my poor machine makes me shudder...
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

It helps on my P4 2.4GHz

Comment

Originally posted by gilfan
                            I don't mind the beginning of turn lag, it's the 1-3 second delay every time I add an item to the build queue that really ticks me off. I've quit quite a few games in the 1700s because of it.
                            Just try quitting to desktop and restarting the game. You might find that the lag is gone, at least it is with me. Just make sure you save before you do.

Comment

Originally posted by Willem

Just try quitting to desktop and restarting the game. You might find that the lag is gone, at least it is with me. Just make sure you save before you do.
                              Same for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X