Does Tokugawa ever trade with anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Tokugawa ever trade with anyone?

By and large I treat the various AI leaders generically. Usually the various diplomatic modifiers like sharing a religion, beneficial trades, resource trading, and the like seem more important to a leader's attitude and behavior than personality.

There are some exceptions. If I'm adjacent to Montezuma, I just assume he's going to try and invade me eventually. The most visible exception is Tokugawa. I've never been able to trade technology with him or get an Open Borders agreement.

Has anyone else managed it through a combination of outright bribery for diplomatic bonuses and religion sharing? Does he trade with the AIs?

- Gus

Yup, share his religion, gift him resources for a prolonged period, give him a hefty tech gift to get the +4. He tends to start opening up at about +6 or so, he still wont really trade techs though.

Comment

Yeah if he practically worships you he will open his borders... However I find my use for him more often is to let him build my cities for me and take em from him as soon as I get the advantage which is remarkably easy with him. He never trades even with the other AI's often times though they have an easier time with him. Therefore he loses all that science advantage with increased trade income and tech sharing. He also doesn't seem to focus on tech but military instead. Both these things combine to make him an easy target with an outdated army.

He's one of the few people in the game I will instantly target for future military action the second I see him.

Comment

He will trade tech, particularly if you share a religion. Open borders is harder and getting his map is extremely difficult.
        Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

I had a friend who was able to open borders with him upon meeting... It was very odd though, as they had a total of +0. (This was during a hotseat game, and I was unable to open borders with him).

If you can get him to like you he can be useful, but he generally does terribly in my games that I just invade him.

Comment

Since he is usually behind in technology I give him some old **** tech, which has almost no trading value anyway. If you do that a couple times and have the same religion you will get that +6 eventually.

In a recent game he became pleased right after I gave him tribute (he asked for money). Of course I had already given him a couple techs and had my religion spread to him.

Then I asked for open borders and he accepted. I exchanged technology and resourses with him and later on he even joined me in my war against Egypt (for a price of course)

All that on Emperor level.

Comment

Join in a war with Tokugawa and he's a happy puppy.

Comment

He opened borders with me in my current game without me bribing him too much IIRC. But he closed them after I made a generous deal with his worst enemy.

Comment

Yeah, but I was playing on Settler's
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I rememebr one particular game were Togugawa had my state religion for the entire game from the beginning to the end. During the mid-industrial era he finally opened his borders. I did not bribe him at all... but then again it took 5 eras for him to open up.
                    GOWIEHOWIE! Uh...does that
                    even mean anything?

Comment

Tokugawa is trading a good bit in my present game. Of course - Tokugawa is controled by The Keeper.

Otherwise - Tokugawa and I oftem make a deal. Trading is always a give and take relationship. I take his cities and I give him lower maintance costs.
                      Early to rise, Early to bed.
                      Makes you healthy and socially dead.

Comment

I've been able to trade tech with Tokugawa, but like everyone says it takes time and some work before he'll warm up to you.

Comment

Working...
                        X