This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superbowl or Civ?

Alright, this one has a shelf life cuz the game's tomorrow and this is purely for fun. And some outside the U.S. won't be able to see America's Big Game , so they won't get the joke; though I'm told it's just about the most common American event program to be exported.

So what will it be? Big Ben and Hasselback, or Monty and Tokugawa? Holmgren and Cowher, or will you be in the back by dim CRT light playing a small map OCC Deity death match with the Emperor Napoleon?

Oh, and Europeans; I have already anticipated the classic reply that American football is basically inferior to rugby and soccer. Then why is there an overseas market for this overblown event at all.

Hey, we get the Rolling Stones at half time too. Which is handy if you haven't got around to paying the ante to see these magnificent dinosaurs in the last 40 years. But, Asoka can be insatiably inscrutable when you're in his clutches.

What I'm going to do? I'm going to play Civ through the five-hour pregame show and then turn it on. But after the Stones have done their thing, if its a runaway, or worse, an evident stalemate , I'm going back to Civ. This is the real reason God invented radio.
    You will soon feel the wrath of my myriad swordsmen!

civ then superbowl then civ
    bty, think it will be a great game right to when the whistle blows.

Comment

You mean the starting whistle?

Comment

lets hope no team scores in the last two minutes of the first half... being in Vegas right now i placed a (5$) bet. I dont even know the rules or which teams play or anything - hahaha...

Comment

european, and proud, try playing a game where you dont claim you are the world champions cos you won a US tourney. rugby is a mans game, Football is the world game

Comment

Re: Superbowl or Civ?

Originally posted by Generaldoktor
            Then why is there an overseas market for this overblown event at all.
            Is there?

(The NATO base in Afghanistan doesn't count)
            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Unimatrix11
              lets hope no team scores in the last two minutes of the first half... being in Vegas right now i placed a (5$) bet. I dont even know the rules or which teams play or anything - hahaha...
              Based on my experience, we probably will see a score then. But I don't know betting rules well, I'm a little surprised you would lose the bet just because of a second quarter score. The game may be low-scoring, both teams got this far after grueling defensive battles in the post-season, sometimes the defense cancels out flashy offenses. Like Asoka in the highlands.

Comment

Superwhat? Never heard of it...
                I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

I also have a very vague idea of what that Superbowl is .

Anyway, we Civ4 section mods watch football and not your knockoff sports, so screw the Bowl .
                  Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                  I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Zoidberg
                    Superwhat? Never heard of it...
                    Ah, sometimes controversy's good, I think. Well this is a multi-national group, but, without having been no farther than Key West myself, I have to listen to the hype that this thing is viewed; and thus reasonably popular, in multiple world markets. Of course Civ4 is also popular, so I thought I'd gauge how many culture victories (you never see that in SuperBall ) might be being delayed over this American extravaganza pseudo-holiday. From the response so far, I'd have to say, not much

For those in the US, its just one of those rituals like frankfurters on the Fourth of July; you're considered pretty weird if you don't participate. As a matter of fact, since I gave up Super Bowl parties a few years ago to focus on the game and my own cooking (and maybe sneak "one more turn" in the computer room rather than watch those inane commercials,) I'm considered pretty atypical myself. But I guess that wouldn't surprise anybody. For anyone who does care, I predict Seattle victory despite all this "Blitzburg" hype , but won't try to guess the score. Now that you know that already, you can go back to Civ.

Comment

Ill be watching the superbowl most likely.

And yes. Rugby is a man's sport - and im not man enough to play it.
                      Early to rise, Early to bed.
                      Makes you healthy and socially dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                        I also have a very vague idea of what that Superbowl is .
                        Isn´t it like the annual showing of Janet Jacksons tits or something? Crazy americans...
                        I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Zoidberg

Isn´t it like the annual showing of Janet Jacksons tits or something? Crazy americans...
                          We get to see Mick Jagger's this year. (I believe he's a rugby player or something, otherwise. ) Janet's "disclosure" was a one-shot deal a few years ago and triggered widespread censorship of American television (worse than before,) and offended multiple religions. And all good Civ players know what happens when you're branded "heathen" by multiple religions.

Comment

Not really a big football fan myself, but I will turn in watch the halftime show and those funny commercials. Who knows, maybe we will get another "wardrobe malfunction" at the halftime show. Better be someone hot, not some old dinosaur rocker like Mick Jagger, that would be just too disturbing to think about.

Comment

Hilarious

but as it's my bday i don't care

just one question though why do they need all that padding ? is it to compensate for down there ?

Crazy Crazy americans sex everywhere but if a tiny smidgin gets some were it can be seen then all the religous nutters come crawling out to compete in Coverup. Can't give into our animal urges appart from voilence now can we ?

Comment

Working...
                              X