Beyond the Sling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beyond the Sling

With any of the Sling variants my problem not how to execute the sling but is how to proceed to (A) survive, (B) catch up economically and (C) catch up in the bypassed tech areas. Of course the first part of the answer is "it depends" but beyond that, any thoughts?
    "...your Caravel has killed a Spanish Man-o-War."

So far when I have done it I don't have a problem economically since I am producing near max science without dropping below 90%. Catching up tech wise is not much of an issue if you go for alpahbet right after. Trade for what you need but make sure to avoid trading away your advantage. Don't trade col, CS or Alphabet till much later. In my current game I was pretty much able to fill in using writing and polytheism.

Survival is probably the biggest depends. If you have good relations so that no one is beating on you then that should take care of itself. Get some minimal military up asap (swords/axes) and try to hang in there while you get up to a higher military level such as cavalry. If you got really lucky on your start and can spam out a good number of offensive units, look for a weak target and take them out to get your empire bigger. My current game has Rome without iron or copper and Germany stuck in the middle of everyone choking on jungles. Either one would do nicely.

Another version I did was with Rome. I got my Prats up first, went hunting while doing the cs slingshot. Worked out quite well. I probably got real lucky on the timing though.

Comment

Working...
    X