U.N. problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.N. problem

this is the 1st time i have built the un since patch. i used an engineer & a lot of forests to ensure that i got it.
    i wanted the un for my game strategy as there are specific things i want/dont want to happen. so i got it built & now the friggin thing is cycling through EVERY resolution on its own! what is the point of building it. it also did an auto elect leader & i almost lost the game right there!!
    has anybody else run into this & is there a fix? thx

Originally posted by mike2h
    this is the 1st time i have built the un since patch. i used an engineer & a lot of forests to ensure that i got it.
    i wanted the un for my game strategy as there are specific things i want/dont want to happen. so i got it built & now the friggin thing is cycling through EVERY resolution on its own! what is the point of building it. it also did an auto elect leader & i almost lost the game right there!!
    has anybody else run into this & is there a fix? thx
    Did it vote on the Sec. General first? Because if you lose that then the AI who wins will choose the resolutions including to win the game (if it thinks it has a chance). If there is no Sec. General, however, then post a save so others can have a look.
    Last edited by Axxaer; February 1, 2006, 19:40.
    "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
    Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

Just to make sure you know this - building the UN doesn't automatically give you the right to determine what gets voted on. What you DO get by building it is a guarantee that when there is an election for the Secretary General, you'll be one of the two nominees.

If you then get voted in as a Secretary General, then, and only then, you get to decide what propositions are going to be voted for; otherwise it's going to be whoever it was running against you for the post calling the shots.

There will be a new Secretary General vote every X number of turns (don't remember how many turns), so if you lost the first time, you may be able to sway others to vote for you later, and get the post on subsequent elections.
      Only the most intelligent, handsome/beautiful denizens of apolyton may join the game :)

Comment

thx guys. i beleive that is what the problem is. duh.
        i wonder about me sometimes

Comment

I'll ask here...

Does it seem for anyone else that the code for determining who votes for what is a little... weird? It seems that for both Victory and Sec-Gen, close friends don't vote for me, even voting with people who have screwed them over in the past.

I'll give an example. I once had a game where the two contenters were me (Asoka) and Catherine. Every other Civ had warred rather strongly against Catherine, and most of them just absolutely loved me.

But, every time I went to try and vote, it seems Catherine had friends I didn't, all of a sudden.
          It's a CB.
          --
          SteamID: rampant_scumbag

Comment

been there, done that. if i had a choice i would take the u.n. out of the game in its current incarnation.

Comment

Close friends ALWAYS vote for me for sec general. They however WILL NOT vote for diplo victory if they consider themselves having a shot at another type of win.

The UN was done very well in this game. You really need to kiss ass or be near a conquest victory in order to win by diplo. My first diplo win was an OCC (not actuall occ slected, so no national wonders) But i had planned on it since the begining. I had everyone but the persians (the other to be voted for) and greeks (persian bed buddies) on my team.
              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

Originally posted by mike2h
                been there, done that. if i had a choice i would take the u.n. out of the game in its current incarnation.
                You do know you have a choice, just deselect Diplomatic victory when setting up a new game
                This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio

You do know you have a choice, just deselect Diplomatic victory when setting up a new game
                  Yep that function removes the UN entirely, not just the ability to win the game through it.

Just out of curiosity if the city that built the UN gets razed to the ground do the UN functions still keep on going or do they stop? Anyone ever run accross this?

Comment

Well, he only asked for a way to remove the UN, not for just removing the victory
                    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Does it seem for anyone else that the code for determining who votes for what is a little... weird?
                      Indeed. As far as I can tell the two nominees for SG seem to be the person with the UN, and the person with the largest military. That's what it usually seems to be, anyway.

I've had similar luck with the votes. Tonight it was myself and Victoria up for SG votes, and I asked Washington what he thought of Victoria. He replied that he disliked her considerably, and I made sure he was "pleased" with me, yet he still voted for Victoria. Very bizarre...

Comment

now i am pissed. i got control of my un back. for all the good it does me. there is no longer an option to repeal resolutions. how lame.
                        so once a resolution is passed, it is there forever? & given that some civs & playing styles do better with different choices, having the resolutions be so specific is ridiculous.especially when there is no way to change them even if you have the un.
                        i truly think it is ridiculous to spend the time & resources buliding the damn thing as part of your plan then have your strategy shot out from underneath if you lose control just once. not that i am going to lose, i just wanted to try some differnet things & now that option is gone.

Comment

I think that the idea is that you generally should only plan to build and use the UN if you are confident of being more popular than the other contender for the sec. general.
                          "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
                          Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

Try to gift the city that built the UN to an AI. Then declare war on the Civ who you gave the city to and then raze it to the ground.

Let me know if that works.
                            Last edited by Silver14; February 5, 2006, 02:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Axxaer
                              I think that the idea is that you generally should only plan to build and use the UN if you are confident of being more popular than the other contender for the sec. general.
                              while i agree with that generally, i still think it is overbalanced for the ai. didnt it use to give you the option of repealing a 'law'?

Comment

Working...
                              X