Barbarian Animals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barbarian Animals

For the nitpick thread of the week. Do animals really need an adjective?

Barbarian literally means non-speaker and people who don't speak your language is a barbarian. Our society has slightly changed it to uncultured or less developed. However, either way, is it possible for a lion to be a non-barbarian?

Re: Barbarian Animals

Originally posted by mkorin
    For the nitpick thread of the week. Do animals really need an adjective?
    Congratulations to the 2nd official winner of LordShiva's Nitpicking Contest. I really like this nitpick

As an aside, I think the whole animals idea is stupid.
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

I agree that the whole animals idea is stupid, and the fact they're labeled as "barbarians" bugs me.
      Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
      The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

I like the animals, they add some variety to the barbarian obstacle at the early stages of a game. And of course the animals could not be labeled as "barbarians", because they're... just animals. Duh.
        I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
          (...) and the fact they're labeled as "barbarians" bugs me.
          Animals running around with flags with a skull on
          This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I like the concept of animals; they keep you from wandering around outside your borders with total impunity, but don't make you worry about having your cities attacked or pillaged in the very early game. your cities .

Comment

The same could be achieved by some sort of barbarian "Militia" or "Thug" unit, without turning our beloved Civ into Lion King 3.
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

animals

barbarian animals

The romans called the germanic northerners "barbarians" because to them, it sounded like they were saying "bar bar bar".

bears dont say "bar bar bar".

BUT, gameplay wise, its fine not worth the nitpick!~
                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

Every time I use worldbuilder I accidentally add some Lions to my empire..... Egyptian lions vs barbarian lions! This weekend at the Thebes Collosseum!

Comment

Some 400 years ago there was a major outbreak of tiger barbarism in China's Sichuan province. Tigers were spawning by the thousands, occupying local government buildings, and sometimes eating whole villages empty.

My father's county suffered major wolf attacks between 1956 and 1958. Wolf packs were roaming the land, attacking villages, and eating countless number of people. In the end, People's Liberation Army hunted those wolves down using machines guns and artilleries.

So barbarian carnivores are possible.

This is real history, not some joke.

Comment

Ever notice that nearly every major city has a Zoo? They are just biding their time, all their pieces in place, then checkmate. I should write a script for Hollywood. I could get Jeff Goldblum to be the protagonist.

The animals would have the win in the end of course else the WWF would protest and throw a sissy fit. Goldblum would die due to monkeys throwing poo at him. It would be a classic.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauptman
                        The romans called the germanic northerners "barbarians" because to them, it sounded like they were saying "bar bar bar".
                        Must have been finns on Saturday night.
                        I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Nitpick: The Romans got the word from the Greeks, who coined it long before they got in contact with any Germanics. The first people to be called 'barbaroi' were no doubt some or other of the Greeks' neighbour.
                          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

New World wolves are peacefull and friendly. It has been reported that there has never been a "documented" human death by wolves in northern America. However, domesticated wolves - dogs - are another matter. And, as for mountain lions (pumas) why they are pretty safe too - unless you are a small child or a running woman. But grzzlies will kill and eat you - but not right away - they let your body " ripen" for a couple days so they can digest it. Ain't nature wonderful? The developers should add poisonous snakes to the expansion pack! Can't see them until you enter a square and they strike! Pleasant Dreams from an old backpacker.

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                              Nitpick: The Romans got the word from the Greeks, who coined it long before they got in contact with any Germanics. The first people to be called 'barbaroi' were no doubt some or other of the Greeks' neighbour.
                              Probably other Greeks that wore their togas in last years style.
                              www.neo-geo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X