Finally!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally!

Bought the game when it first came out and though it appeared that my system was up to specs, I couldn't get it to run without hard crashing after a handful of turns. Tried a lot of the fixes, uploaded new drivers, did everything I could think of. Crash. I was pretty depressed.

Well, ended up getting a new PC last week and I can play! Love the game! Still getting some lag on the movies, but everything else seems to be working fine.

I know I'm not the only person that was having problems, so I guess my question is how many folks went out and bought a new PC in part because they couldn't play Civ IV on their old one?

I'm just guessing that Civ IV had a positive impact on PC and video card sales.

I did the opposite - the copy protection objected to something on my main machine so I run it on a machine 3 years old!
    EU questions? try here:-

http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/

Comment

I didn't get a new computer specifically for civ, I just happened to buy them both at the same time.
      "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
      Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

I'm running it on a 4-5 year old computer (only graphics card was changed), and it runs great (everything on high)
        This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I ended up buying two video cards and one computer. The good news is that I got the video cards using gift cards from best buy (went for middle of the road rather than high end) and the computer was only $319 after rebates. The results is now I can play on any of three networked machines. It helps that I have my my documents on a server so I have a common games folder.

Might seem like a lot but with how busy things are in my house I want to be able to play where I have to be. Grab 10 minutes while the kids are in the bathtub. Play for an hour while the kids are playing next to me in the living room etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio
            I'm running it on a 4-5 year old computer (only graphics card was changed), and it runs great (everything on high)

/me beats up ADG for bragging about his luck
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
            X