No announcement yet.

Volcanoes/Earthquakes and Tsunamis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup. i think its settled then. we all want natural disasters in an expansion pack.
    I used to love seeing the volcanoes go off for one turn in civ3 It just looked so cool......imagine that with this superb 3d map in civ4 ( which i think is just the BEST eye candy so far in the civ series)
    On an off-point Who zooms right in on a city just before you nuke it !!! WOW...

Comment

I'm not sure if I would want it... maybe in some games, but not in all...
      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by tiny toad
        Yup. i think its settled then. we all want natural disasters in an expansion pack.
        When was this settled? I guess I missed it
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

It's being settled right now, in this very thread.
          I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

What's being settled, if anything, in this thread, is that it's not the case that "we all want natural disasters in an expansion pack."

Perhaps a poll would be a good idea. I like polls.
            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Ok. Your dream has come true.
              "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
              Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

I dunno, in all the other 4X games I have played, having natural disasters never provided for much "fun", especially when something awful and game-changing would happen at a critical juncture. I think the best disasters are the types that can be mitigated by strategies, such as a plague (with several options of how to address it) are better than one time events like earthquakes that just destroy everything with no way for the player to mitigate the effects.

We already have some random events that are beneficial such as finding new resources in mines and we love the king day.
                "Cunnilingus and Psychiatry have brought us to this..."

Tony Soprano

Comment

Originally posted by MasterDave
                  I think the best disasters are the types that can be mitigated by strategies, such as a plague (with several options of how to address it) are better than one time events like earthquakes that just destroy everything with no way for the player to mitigate the effects.
                  This reminds me of Master of Orion, where you could counter the effects of these disasters if you act quickly. For example, a plague that doesn't wipe you out right away, but only decrease your population slowly until you find a cure.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I think it would be good, if you had earthquakes, if they didn't just come out of nowhere, cause they usually don't in real life. It'd be cool if you got messages about tremors, small earthquakes occuring in cities occasionally with minimal/no effects (the game could have certain areas that are fault lines, etc.), and that would warn you about somewhere being earthquake prone. You could then, with certain technology, build some building that has the effect of reducing the damage of any large earthquake that does occur (the equivalent of setting up building codes for earthquake safety like they have in countries like Japan). You wouldn't want to build this in every city, only at risk cities. Then some technology such as physics would just reveal all of the fault lines, let you know the relative risk of an earthquake in all cities. A system like this wouldn't be nearly as random, and would let the player control possible damage.

Comment

Hey ...Axxaer, thanks for the poll... I`ve just voted

Comment

Volcanoes/Earthquakes and Tsunamis

Please.

Pretty please.

And a realistic nuclear holocaust and meteor impact if it is not too much trouble.
                        I'm not buying BtS until Firaxis impliments the "contiguous cultural border negates colony tax" concept.

Comment

Originally posted by madmaxxam
                          I think it would be good, if you had earthquakes, if they didn't just come out of nowhere, cause they usually don't in real life. It'd be cool if you got messages about tremors, small earthquakes occuring in cities occasionally with minimal/no effects (the game could have certain areas that are fault lines, etc.), and that would warn you about somewhere being earthquake prone. You could then, with certain technology, build some building that has the effect of reducing the damage of any large earthquake that does occur (the equivalent of setting up building codes for earthquake safety like they have in countries like Japan). You wouldn't want to build this in every city, only at risk cities. Then some technology such as physics would just reveal all of the fault lines, let you know the relative risk of an earthquake in all cities. A system like this wouldn't be nearly as random, and would let the player control possible damage.
                          uhh, earthquakes do come out of nowhere. We can't predict them. Remember last year scientists tried to predict an earthquake in southern california? They thought for sure one would hit by Sept 5.

Comment

The other thing with predicting them (which is emphatically not possible, regions likely to have them are defined though) is that until relatively recently earth tremors would not have resulted in your people clamouring for dampening foundations but demanding more goats be sacrificed.
                            www.neo-geo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                              uhh, earthquakes do come out of nowhere. We can't predict them. Remember last year scientists tried to predict an earthquake in southern california? They thought for sure one would hit by Sept 5.
                              Prediction is different than detection. We KNOW southern California is prone to earthquakes. We KNOW that there will be another big earthquake there. And we have, as madmaxxam suggests, put into place means to midigate the damage. The fact that we can't predict an earthquake doesn't invalidate the assumption that the area is earthquake prone.

OTOH, the knowledge that an area is prone to severe earthquakes is derived from experiencing said earthquakes. Prior to 1811, who would have thought that New Madrid, Missouri would be prone to massive earthquakes? And the means to deal with them in large cities would be a very late-game technology.

I think I'll pass on the natural disasters. Too much unpredictable disruption.
                              We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude.
                              We forge our spirit in the tradition of our ancestors.
                              You have our gratitude!

Comment

Working...
                              X