The Coastal Strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Coastal Strategy

It's good to see so many fans of this great game. I'm new to posting but have enjoyed some of the strategy's in these forums.

My first attempt at a cultural victory was with Ghandi using the religion/shrine route. I also played Peter on a standard/continent/quick/warlord setting with 5 AI's.

Ghandi started with two settlers and my first hut was a worker. Needless to say I went on to discover every religion and win a cultural victory by 1790. I started with Rome to my immediate North, the Mongolians directly east, and the Japanese a ways to the west.

The interesting beginning was with Peter. He shared a continent with the Persians and immediately had to go to war. Beelined to ironworking and swordsman did the job. I ended up with 7 cities on the coastline. Ghandi had built every other wonder, but he didn't have coastal cities so no Colossus or Great Lighthouse. Even with a huge advantage in technology, Peter was able to come back after the GL/Harbors/Markets/Banks/Grocers along with the free market civ started cranking out the cash.

By the end of the game, Peter was making more money than Ghandi, who had all 7 shrines built.

I'm wondering how the strategy of aquiring the Great Lighthouse, settling along the coast, utilizing the Colossus for the food growth would work in higher difficulties.

Coastal strategies work best with Expansive (cheap harbours), Organized (cheap lighthouses) or Financial (more commerce off sea spaces) leaders; that'd mean Caesar, Victoria or Washington.
    Participating in my threads is mandatory. Those who do not do so will be forced, in their next game, to play a power directly between Catherine and Montezuma.

Comment

Working...
    X