Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patch/update request: Remember my save directory!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patch/update request: Remember my save directory!

I don't know if anyone else saves in subdirectories, or if they do whether they find this aspect of the save-game process annoying. I usually create subdirectories for each game or scenario, so I can return to them later and also just for sheer organization. Thus, under "Saves/single", I have several subdirectories, like "Devels Workshop I", "Devels Workshop II", etc. Under those subdirectories, I will have individual game subdirectories (game1, game2, etc.).

Now, when I first save a game, I will put it in its own directory. But when I go to save again (whether [Ctrl-S] or Esc/mouse save), the game only remembers "Save/single", and I have to navigate down to the place I am saving this particular game.

Not a big deal, you say? No, not really, but when you have to do it enough times it gets *truly* annoying. Plus, it's NOT a big deal to remember the last directory saved into, so it should be a trivial enhancement to implement.

Soren, could this minor change make it into the next round of patches? Pretty please?

BTW, NO complaints about the game itself -- I am enjoying myself TREMENDOUSLY (just ask my better half how much doesn't get done when I get the fever ... .

Regards,

smacfan

I agree. Btw, we had this in Civ III

And I'm not complaining. This game is the best game ever!!!!
    RIAA sucks
    The Optimistas
    I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

The ini file has this switch:

; Save Path - relative to working (Civ4) folder
      FileName = 0

but I have no idea what it does or if the game even uses it.

Comment

Its more than this,
        It needs to remember ALL selected things, especially noticable in custom games.
        Now they've fixed most major things, these should be in the next patch I reckon.

Comment

Yes, I agree - don't use my own subdirectories for saves, but for those that do, I think it should obviously remember the directory where the last save was made.

Also, more relevant to me, I agree with Demon Rob, the custom games should remember the last settings completely; including the custom name/pseudonym used for the leader AND the civ names and descriptions.

With the 1.52 patch, in custom games, it now automatically suggests as a name to use your windows login name. Don't know why not rather remember the name used in the last custom game?
          Only the most intelligent, handsome/beautiful denizens of apolyton may join the game :)

Comment

Please let it remind my game settings (tribe name, leader name, difficulty leven) as well. (game name, which is my windows name everytime eventhough I change it, should be rememberd as well)
            Formerly known as "CyberShy"
            Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Personally I never had problem with current settings, since saves are sorted by dates, so I can always find the last one I need to replace.

I also prefer to move saves to other folder, but only after game is over, so I can archive them for later showing.

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
                Please let it remind my game settings (tribe name, leader name, difficulty leven) as well. (game name, which is my windows name everytime eventhough I change it, should be rememberd as well)
                You can set the game name in the ini file:

; Game Name
                GameName = Potoroo

It's unnecessarily clumsy but at least it's doable. Not saving all your custom settings is just wrong though.

Comment

Thanks, I'll try that.
                  Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                  Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

I second tha motion: Let the game remember all settings.

I like to play the game zoomed out so I get a top-down view, but each time I start the game I have to zoom out. (Would like to have an even larger area vissible, but I can live with it)

Ok, We can set the player name in the ini-file

; In-game Alias
                    Alias = Lord Voldemort

Will set the player name to Lord Voldemort, but why not save it there in the first place. Or use the users name, not the computers name.
                    Visit my CTP-page and get TileEdit and a few other CTP related programs.
                    Download and test SpriteEdit development build.

Comment

When we are with Alias, what bothers me is eveytime I connect to gamespy with different logic, it will be remembered as my Alias for single player.

And that annyos me.
                      In SP I name leaders by my private name, not "player1fanatic", as gamespy login.

Comment

yes pls. Remembering last save dir is a good thing.
                        Just as remembering everything else. For example these buttons in the bottom right corner. I like to play with grid and resources pictograms, but after every reload they are set back to default off.

Comment

Working...
                        X