No horses, or coal, ever!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No horses, or coal, ever!

Okay, I've played for awhile. I fixed my technical probs with the game pretty much, after two months, (thanks anyway Sid, better late than never ) and I like most of what I see, though it's darn different than Civ3, which I personally loved, (but not enough to sideline this new stuff.) I'm going to throw a thread out there now and see if I can get some ideas for myself and help others.

I'm thinking a general talk on use of resources, or lack thereof, which I didn't see too much specific discussion about on the other strategy threads other than for the early game. Consensus seems to be that these problems can resolve themselves out with expansion/diplomacy/conquest/alternative technologies. After playing a couple dozen now on various difficulties, (but mostly large maps with a lot of foes,) I find this frequently to not be the case. The rarest resources I think, after playing what I have, are coal and horses. (With honorable mention for deer, which you can work around.) Am I nuts?

In the real world, coal is probably the most common fossil fuel and a very common occurring substance (mineral?). Horses disappeared in prehistoric times for still unclear reasons from the North/South American continent, putting guys like Montezuma in a real pickle when he had to go up against imported ones, but they don't seem too uncommon, in the real world, anywhere else. Arabs had them, Russians had them, Mongols had them (ever play Civ4 as Genghis with no horses? )

Even Tokugawa on his island empire had them. Sir Lancelot had them on his island, though the Romans might have brought them over. (Note to self, mod transplantable resources sometime. ) As many have noted, Civ isn't a totally realistic simulation, but it at least reflects a lot of real world conditions. Are coal/horses exceptionally/unreasonably scarce or is it just me?

I'm a builder; and a bit of a "castle"-type player. I don't want to conquer the world to get that one missing resource site. (At least they don't "dry up" in Civ4, the way they did in Civ3. ) I find it in fact more than a little difficult to conquer the world without railroads and an early UU. I'm also not much of a modder, finding that if you add something for "play balance" you might well upset something else. I prefer to leave that to game design professionals.

It would seem here we could have a discussion about whether coal and/or horses are really scarce and what people do about it, (As Genghis, or Peter, for instance.)

If anybody wants to chime in about frequency, use and/or avoidance of other resources, that would seem to be fruitful too.
    You will soon feel the wrath of my myriad swordsmen!

Not that I've noticed (coal and horses). I have noticed that sometimes the game seems to "group" some of the resources in certain areas. I suspect this is to produce some interesting economics/diplomacy. Although it can lead to some odd results. I once played a game where _nobody_ had oil on their mainland. Luckily, I was on very good terms with Vicky when she uncovered an island-continent about 8 squares big with four of them oil. Too bad she didn't have a settler handy.

The "rare" resource that makes me shake my head is Stone. Yup, Stone! Maybe when the game installs, it randomly selects a resource to short its maps on ? I hardly ever find myself with Stone or Marble anywhere near my starting point.

Personally, I think resources should be more dynamic...exhausting and getting discovered more frequently during history. Especially the grains should be "contagious" so that if you are getting Corn through trade, a Corn resource might appear somewhere under your control. Perhaps workers might have access to a "breadbasket" action to create such a resource.

Comment

Well, that (duplicatable resources) would eliminate the motivation for trade. (Ya'll git your own corn, so ouren's not good enuf no more ) There's one guy on the "what I hate about this game" thread who maintains, not without reason, that the food and terrain tiles appear by formula and with no logic to the real world, i.e. they were programmed to appear in regular frequencies around potential city sites without regard to geology, or climatology. He claimed this was far worse than Civ3. I initially agreed with him, but have had some games since where things suddenly get more available; and rational. All this occurred after patch 1.52, so that ain't it.

My current game there is a fair amount of horse sites and also three apiece stone and marble sites, (I agree with you these are also rare.) I had to bump off Tokunagwa to get mine, but that's fair; they were within a few dozen squares and my initial scouting before the Jap went on a city-building binge around me, was shoddy.

I still stand by my initial complaint, based on the overall number of games I've played through to "steam power," that these resources are excessively rare. Gems and incense are pretty much too (less than in Civ3 imho,) but that is perhaps more reasonable in real world terms.

Comment

I had a game recently where, in the modern era, aluminum was only on the 'other' continent. Luckily, I was on good terms with the biggest civ (Gandhi) over there, and I gave him a very lucrative trade deal for the aluminum, to give me the edge for a space race victory.

I don't think there's any consistent pattern in how the generator distributes the resources. Which is neat, because you're never *quite* sure what you're going to get.

Comment

i had one where i was short coal and alunimium fortunately my miners discovered some i that trading for essential resourrces. so if you are short of minerals build mines on all of your hills.

IMHO the distribution is more of what i would expect it to be than civ3, it really sucked having to drive a settler across a hostile land just to get the only iron i could see. In civ 3 ther were only just enough stategic resources for every one with a couple for trade and often if you wanted an army at all you had to have them so the AI there would charge exhorbitant prices of refuse outright.

I think the food resouces represent areas where the particular crop is native. Also I am making the assumptin that when you first get a food resource through trade it would be farmed at many locations around your empire in your farms. Also the genetic diversity of the native grown crops is a resource and that requires acess to the native plants to ensure that yhe most signifigant genes can be spread. When you grwo a new crop it ussualy displaces what you were growing there so there would be no rise in production of food you would also need to increase the edible biomass (yield) for overall food to increase.

I suspect the same is true for animal based resources , however the population could be used to create a breeding herd.

i think i would un balance the game being able to create food resources at will

i thought farms were the bread basket

how bout if you create your food resource you must keep trading with the possesor of the natives to get health resources and native resources benifit more in terms of health or more food than or created ones. Also allow for a crop no longer being cultivated outside its native lands to dissapear over time.

Comment

I'll echo some of the other folks - I have the hardest time with stone and marble as well. Never seem to have access to it when I need it.

I've been playing some OCC games lately and that's the biggest frustration/limitation...dealing with the fact you'll be lucky to get one strategic resource in your "kingdom" and the rest you will have to acquire via trade. My last OCC game I found copper two tiles from my city, which was great. But I had no other strategic resources (had plenty of food resources) until Industrialism and found Aluminum (also two tiles from my city). No horses, iron, coal, uranium, oil...nuttin'.

Comment

Originally posted by scooch74
              I'll echo some of the other folks - I have the hardest time with stone and marble as well. Never seem to have access to it when I need it.

I've been playing some OCC games lately and that's the biggest frustration/limitation...dealing with the fact you'll be lucky to get one strategic resource in your "kingdom" and the rest you will have to acquire via trade. My last OCC game I found copper two tiles from my city, which was great. But I had no other strategic resources (had plenty of food resources) until Industrialism and found Aluminum (also two tiles from my city). No horses, iron, coal, uranium, oil...nuttin'.
              OCC if I remember correctly is the "one city challenge." I don't play those, I find it too restrictive. But I guess one must assume if your territory is going to be limited by the cultural boundaries of "one city," even a grand one, that you're going to end up missing some stuff. If we had a designer here, I'm sure he'd say, "Yup, that's the challenge!"

I started this thread because I thought it was outrageous to go without coal, hideously common in the real world; which seemed to happen to me a lot in Civ4. (No railroads, come on; even 19th century Bolivia, successor to the Incas, had railroads. I saw them in the "Butch and Sundance" movie.) Ditto for horses, but reading closer some strategy threads last night, some guys take it in stride; either becoming clever diplomats (frequently actually "intimadators," given Civ4 AI diplomacy,) or just building a lot of roads and marching their footsloggers around like Napoleon or "Stonewall" and Sherman. I also found out you can rush to longbowman, if you don't have metals and these guys last about 1000 years, as both defenders and attackers, in a pinch.

Which doesn't eliminate the usefulness of this discussion. Those of you that threw out ideas for changes, right on! Maybe a design type will monitor this and change the terrain/resource mix in a future expansion. Or we can mod, which as I said at the beginning, I don't like to do, but some things may demand it over time.

Uranium's comparative plenty vis-a-vis coal/horses has got me nutty in my game experience so far. My recollection of the real "Manhattan Project" is that Oppenheimer and company had to scout around bigtime even in mineral-rich U.S. and Canada to find the proper weapons grade and in Civ, this stuff pops up all over the map, including on previously built farms and cities where I'd least want it and can't use it.

Speaking of which, don't you just love it when they find oil in the middle of that pastoral town square that's pulling in the seven gold per turn. "Well the first thing ya' know, old Jed's a millionaire and the kinfolk said, 'Jed, move away from there! Californi is the place ya oughta be...!"

Like I say, the rants are useful (and cathartic, if one wants a cleanly vented spleen.) It would be nice to hear some solutions too of what people do when they're stuck without critical resources.

Comment

Funny... Whenever I run an OCC, my capital always seems to magically have just about every resource possible within its boundaries.

I figured when you do an OCC the game knows and adjusts itself on purpose. I always seem to get far superior starting positions on OCC then under any other circumstances.

As far as stone and marble, I agree! Those are the rarest for me. Possibly because they are so important in terms of wonder building, but I rarely if ever get them. Some times I can't even find them on the map until the very end when I can see the entire thing! There'll be one marble resource on some backwater continent some place and that's it..

Comment

Peronsally I am pretty pleased with the way resources are handled in Civ IV. Do I always get every resource I want? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. But I usually get most. And even the strategic resources aren't truly essential to survive, although they can be crucial to victory.

IMHO this is a huge improvement over Civ III. My absolute least favorite things about that game are how you can count on most of the iron, coal, oil, etc., to be clustered in one or two areas, and how you simply cannot compete without them.

In Civ IV I've never seen strategic resources cluster like that. JohnUngrin seems to have encountered it once with oil, but that seems like an exception, not the rule. Now some of the food and especially the luxury resources do seem to cluster. That I'm OK with, since it provides a reason to trade.

Something to keep in mind when it comes to resource distribution is that different resources mostly (only?) appear in certain types of terrain. Fur almost always seems to be in tundra or nearby tundra. On most maps there isn't a whole lot of tundra, so by necessity the fur is all going to be found in those few locations.

One last note: Some of the maps have deliberately skewed resource distribution. Terra's "New World" continent is supposed to be resource rich and include resources that aren't available in the "Old World." Great Plains has a lot of grain and cattle. Highlands is rather lacking in fish...

Comment

I haven't had much trouble with coal or horses. I think I didn't have coal in 1 game... but I went and got it Horses... well, mounted units are, IMO, much less powerful in CivIV than they were in CivIII. If I lack horses, I really don't mind. I'd rather have 'em, but it's no biggie.

I did have a bad run with(out!) aluminium a while back. I remember fighting a several-centuries long culture battle with an ally to get one particular tile to flip over to me. The AI had dropped a great artist culture bomb in a captured city... and happened to grab an aluminium mine. It took me a while to move the border to its proper position.

-Arrian
                    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I'm not sure if I recall ever feeling horribly pressed by not having any particular resource.

Food/luxury resources you can trade for or build particular buildings and/or cultural adjustments to compensate for.

Stone/Marble isn't all that important, since WW's aren't all that powerful, and they're not NEEDED to build them anyway, they just make it faster -- which can be handled by chops/pops/buildings/traits as well.

I've played entire games without ever using a mounted unit. So Horses aren't necessary.

I've also done entire pre-gunpowder eras with nothing but Archers and Mounted Units. So one can survive without Copper and Iron (though it certainly makes it tough).

None of the basic garrison units (Musketmen, Riflemen, Grenadier, Infantry, SAM Infantry, etc.) require any special resources, so defense should be possible.

Navies can be supported with either oil or uranium, so you only need one of them.

No aluminum may make you try to win the game without the SS.

No coal just means relying on Hydro and Nuclear to power factories -- that's not a major setback.

In fact, the only really bad situation I can think of, is not having Oil in a game that involves Modern Era warfare. And even then, I would think you could hold your own defensively. Might be pretty tough though. So perhaps that drives you to defensive pacts and/or relying on 'friends' to fight your enemies for you.

Comment

Well, I asked for solutions and I guess I got them, or rebuttals anyway. GDGrimm has a real "can-do" attitude, regardless of what he's up against. He'll be a tournament leader for sure. Him and Arrian don't need horses. (Don't need horses? )

Seriously, the Russian UU is a horse unit, so is the Spanish, so is the Mongol. Samurai rode horses and the Japanese UU replaces a horse unit. (Do Samurai require horses? I never played Tokunaga.) Having the Age of Knighthood without (mounted) knights? I think something's then missing from the game experience. And I did have a point I think about horses (and coal) being common in real life, except for the realm of poor Montezuma who thought they were men's heads on dog's bodies, some kind of centaur, as a result of equines dying out in America before human societies emerged. (The Sioux, from what I understand, got theirs originally from Spanish runaways, or trade, which goes to show I guess you can live without integral horses.)

Well no sense in ranting all day. The game is what it is. And some guys are playing without, what I consider critical resources.

Comment

Originally posted by gdgrimm
                          I'm not sure if I recall ever feeling horribly pressed by not having any particular resource...

No aluminum may make you try to win the game without the SS.

No coal just means relying on Hydro and Nuclear to power factories -- that's not a major setback.

In fact, the only really bad situation I can think of, is not having Oil in a game that involves Modern Era warfare. And even then, I would think you could hold your own defensively. Might be pretty tough though. So perhaps that drives you to defensive pacts and/or relying on 'friends' to fight your enemies for you.
                          Not to hog my own thread, but I went back and reviewed some of GDGrimm's ideas and did want to comment on two.

Spaceship victory has always been silly to me. Societies don't collapse in competition because somebody gets the interplanetary rocket. The so-called "Fall of the Communist Bloc" (I think its still around, in disguise,) didn't happen till 1990 and the heroic Americans became the first and only to grace the moon in 1969, 11 years earlier. I guess in some tournaments you would have to play with the space option, long-time experienced players seem to like it, but so-far for SP home use, I shut it off. The thing about aluminum is it is required for jet aircraft and modern armor.

Coal is required for railroads. That's right, try to build railroads without it. :frown: That's the issue with that, not the power thing. :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by Generaldoktor
                            Well, I asked for solutions and I guess I got them, or rebuttals anyway. GDGrimm has a real "can-do" attitude, regardless of what he's up against. He'll be a tournament leader for sure. Him and Arrian don't need horses. (Don't need horses? )

Seriously, the Russian UU is a horse unit, so is the Spanish, so is the Mongol. Samurai rode horses and the Japanese UU replaces a horse unit. (Do Samurai require horses? I never played Tokunaga.) Having the Age of Knighthood without (mounted) knights? I think something's then missing from the game experience. And I did have a point I think about horses (and coal) being common in real life, except for the realm of poor Montezuma who thought they were men's heads on dog's bodies, some kind of centaur, as a result of equines dying out in America before human societies emerged. (The Sioux, from what I understand, got theirs originally from Spanish runaways, or trade, which goes to show I guess you can live without integral horses.)

Well no sense in ranting all day. The game is what it is. And some guys are playing without, what I consider critical resources.
                            Sorry, I guess what I was trying to say is that it'll even out for you. I've never really noted a lack of those resources and I've played quite a few games. It may be that you just ran into a bad run of resource luck. What maps/settings were you using?

As for the Samurai, no, no horses required. It's a footslogger unit. You are correct w/regard to the Conquistador, Keshik and Cossack.

To me, it isn't a problem... if I don't get horses in my initial expansion phase, I can either go get some via trade or warfare, or I can make exploration a priority and try to find some on an island or something. You don't want to have to fight for resources... well, the game as currently set up is (IMO) relatively generous (on standard continents maps like I've been playing anyway), but I think the intent is that from time to time you will lack a resource. I like it the way it is.

But again, my main point (which I didn't really spell out) was that I think you will find, as you play more, that you will have horses/coal... but maybe you will lack copper. Or aluminium...

-Arrian

edit: oil. That's the one that SUCKS if you don't have it. That's the one that I'd be most inclined to fight over (and quickly - you don't want to be bringing Cavalry to a Tank fight ).
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I play mostly on Noble and like big maps with continents low to medium ocean. I play a lot in "tropical" climates and that might be part of it; horsies don't like jungle. (But they've been transplanted there successfully by numerous real-world colonialists and thrive pretty good in Australia and Southern Africa.)

One game I didn't get them, I was playing Spanish and got enough to make about half dozen conquistadors and Louis yanked my supply over some trifle, religion or something; I found them on an island later, clear across the world. Huyna had already built up half the island and I spent the next 200 years in a culture war with him to try to get this one horse corral. I got it about the same time I converted all my conquistadors and elephants to gunships.

By the way, my apologies for errors on my last post. Its 21 years between 1969 and 1990 and my smilies didn't come out. Here they are:

No railroads
                              That's the issue, not type of power plants.

Comment

Working...
                              X