OCC with raging barbs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCC with raging barbs...

Well, it is only Noble level (small map) so...

I thought the raging barbs would hurt the AI more than me since I wouldn't be expanding anyway. Yah, right.

Anyway, my neighbors are parked on my borders, I tried to eliminate Peter but it just isn't working. I can't make troops fast enough to counter his settlers. I razed 4 towns and was working on his last one when I noticed he had built two more in the areas i had just razed. So I go to take them and one of his archers kills off two promoted axemen (city raider, archery). At this rate, I can never hope to conquer my neighbors. And I haven't even made it to Monty land 'cause Peter is in the way and won't give me open borders (hence me attacking him). And Monty won't stop declaring war everytime he's made a new chariot. Ridiculous.

Is it possible to actually conquer in OCC? what am I doing wrong? (I'm Spain, BTW and am trying to get my UU - still a couple techs away and am near the top in tech research.)
    If pigs could fly we'd all have to wear helmets.
    Please don't be envious of my little girlie brain.

Well, I'm no OCC expert, but it seems to me that Spain is a bad early rush civ. The Inca are the best ultra-early rushers. The Aztecs are another choice...

But those civs are poor OCC civs. So, IMO, is spain. I would think an OCC'er would want two of these traits:

Industrious
    Philosophical
    Financial

(China or England, bascially)

I'm not really sure OCC conquest is supposed to be easy, even on Noble.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Erk, raging barbs. Evil barbs >.>

...Anyway, my OCC conquest strat has been to avoid early combat altogether and wait till my units have tech supiriority before attacking. You just don't have the time for an early rush on standard speed (which is the speed I've been playing). I've been playing as Napoleon, pulling a CS slingshot, and attacking first with macemen/cats while beelinging for chemisty and steel. Once you have cannon and granadiers, you should be able to mop up the map. Till you get them, just send your SoDs to pillage enemy capitals. Don't bother to try to eliminate anyone yet, and try to not raze AI cities that block other AIs' expantion.

Comment

Spain is not a good conquest civ. The reason is that their UU really has no city siege benefit, yes it's wonderful because it recieves defensive bonuses, but that doesn't help at all when you want zero losses on an offense. Conquest OCC is ALL about getting as close to zero losses as possible.

IMO the best leader traits are Alexander (agg/philo) and Napeleon (agg/ind). Russians are also worth looking at for the Cossack altough traits are slightly sub-par. Romans are the most practical for early conquest altough traits blow. Elizabeth is worth looking at for decent traits and a decent UU (Redcoats).

I don't think there is any other leader that is worth using, others just have inferior traits or expendable UU's - which just don't work for OCC conquest.

Comment

Originally posted by fluffyflyingpig
          Erk, raging barbs. Evil barbs >.>

...Anyway, my OCC conquest strat has been to avoid early combat altogether
          well, that would be my ideal plan EXCEPT they won't stop declaring war on me. I can have fortified archers on every hill, fortified spears on every resource tile and 10 upgraded axemen ready to go (raging barbs keep 'em busy) and Pleased relations but the AI still declares war as soon as my borders start pushing on theirs (actually, just auto-razed one via culture assimiliation... kinda cool)

Up until this OCC game, I've been agreeing to demands and having open borders and they still declare war. This game I denied all requests and they seem to be declaring war less frequently. Other than monty of course who won't shut up with his silly war declarations. Like I care when his chariots attack my fortified spears?
          If pigs could fly we'd all have to wear helmets.
          Please don't be envious of my little girlie brain.

Comment

OCC-right

why is a civ building more than one city?
            anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Originally posted by mimi
              well, that would be my ideal plan EXCEPT they won't stop declaring war on me. I can have fortified archers on every hill, fortified spears on every resource tile and 10 upgraded axemen ready to go (raging barbs keep 'em busy) and Pleased relations but the AI still declares war as soon as my borders start pushing on theirs
              That's because your civ's military strength is at the bottom of the pile.

I personally don't think you can win a conquest victory in OCC. That occurs only very rarely.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
              X