OCC and Tech beelining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCC and Tech beelining

Tried my hand at an OCC game today for the first time with Civ IV. Only played Prince level to give me a feel for the style of play and used Qin. Admittedly I didn't get an ideal start, but it wasn't too bad. Health was an issue and I could have used some more food resources.

But my question is, what techs do you experienced OCC players beeline for? I lost in the mid 1900s when the Indians launched their spaceship. I was behind in tech most of the game, but was starting to catch up in the late stages. I had just shy of 700 beakers in my city at the end. I think my problem was I got side-tracked early on with techs (well, really throughout as I kept jumping around the tech tree for advances to address problems)that could have waited and it slowed me down.

Re: OCC and Tech beelining

Originally posted by scooch74
    I had just shy of 700 beakers in my city at the end.
    First tip would be to build another city.

I took a long time to get to understand the tech tree and even to realise that the box in the top right corner of the tech (in Science advisor) was a necessary pre-requisite.

Your first bee-line is probably bronze-working for slavery
    Then go for writing
    Alphabet for tech trading is also a good early one to get
    After that you can bee-line depending upon the needs of the game (construction will help your military, currency will help your economy, monarchy will solve all your unhappiness problems but drama will also help and is the better long term solution to a small unhappiness problem.

Comment

You can't go too wrong building the Pyramids and the Great Library and settling all great people other than the Acadamy.

These are critical techs, what you want to be aiming at:
      Bronze Working
      Writing
      Civil Service (Get with Oracle, if at all possible)
      Literature
      Philosophy
      Education
      Liberalism

After liberalism there are many options, from heading to Constitution (if you missed Pyramids) to the Astronomy->sci method -> physics -> radio -> electricity -> computers beeline.

Comment

Working...
      X