No announcement yet.

What victory conditions do you enable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What victory conditions do you enable?

I would normally enable all victory conditons, but I find that space and diplomatic victory get in the way of having a fun domination game. I guess that's what the options are there for, but it still bothers me a little that I disable a few of them. But here are a few of my reasons:

In my last game, highlands/standard size/marathon/emperor, I was in the end game when the U.N. resolutions passed preventing me from switching to a more conquest friendly civic like police state and/or state property, so war weariness became almost unmanageable, having to fight ten turns, ten turns of peace, and so on. No one had enough votes for diplomatic victory, yet it prevented me from having an easier go at domination. Maybe that's the real world, but for game play, it get's in the way. Probably if I had built Mount Rushmore, things would have been different, but I didn't go for that tech path and it was no longer an option once I acquired fascism.

So, I lost interest (perhaps just temporarily) in that game, with about 65 turns to go, and about 45% of the land area under my control. Highlands have quite a large land area. So, in retrospect, I should have disabled DV to allow the style of play I prefer.

Space victory, after winning at it several times, also loses some of it's appeal, for me anyway, and it also gets in the way of domination win, though it definitely makes for a more challenging game, since the AI is very good at Space Victory. The AI also tends to accelerate in tech research in the end game. On a large map, it may be very difficult to reach one or more Civs in time to stop their progress. I rationalize this in part by thinking that Earth is the prize, and we need to solve our environmental problems here, not leave them behind to settle another planet. Though I greatly enjoyed playing SMAC. But this is Civ, on Earth.

So, the victory conditions that I see as not conflicting with my style of play are domination, conquest, culture, and time. I see a culture win as a true indication of civilization greatness, more so than the earliest Civ to leave Earth. So, if an AI Civ can close in on a culture win (without me arriving at their gates with my tanks ), they are most deserving of a win.

What victory conditions do you typically enable? if you disable some, what are your reasons?

Conquest
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Always disable Time and Space Race

Comment

Oh man, I hate space race so much!
        Attached Files
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

all of them. Since I use Play Now and not Custom Game. My custom games are broken for some reason.

Comment

I tend to disable time.
            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

In most of my games I've only got Conquest and time enabled, the other ones are boring
              This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                Oh man, I hate space race so much!

It's one thing if you're playing a building game, but from the perspective of the world conqueror, I think it gets in the way too much along with diplomatic victory.

Comment

I leave Space on as it's about the only one the AI can actually do.
                  www.neo-geo.com

Comment

AI can do diplomatic fairly well from my experience...
                    "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
                    Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

never actually seen them win diplomatic. space race is the only one they can win on me.

Comment

Originally posted by johnmcd
                        I leave Space on as it's about the only one the AI can actually do.
                        That's a good point, though I've seen the Americans about to win on culture in one game, before I quit. It was good old George Washington and his mega army was ample deterrent to taking out one of his culture cities.

The AI can certainly win on time to. They're quite good at that.

I think leaving space victory on in a game that you're going for domination, increases the difficulty by a half a level, maybe even a full level at times, depending on things such as map type, number of civs, game speed. Marathon certainly helps achieve domination with the extra turns and more units. I could make an argument that space race might make it easier, if the AI is busy building space ship parts instead of military units.

But how does one deal with several AI's building space ship parts at the same time? Maybe it means not letting things get that far to begin with, an earlier domination win, which is harder of course. On monarch I achieved domination in 1895 with cavalry and rifleman, long before the space race, but on emperor, it's much harder to make it that early.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka II
                          It was good old George Washington and his mega army was ample deterrent to taking out one of his culture cities.
                          That's what nukes are for!

Plus, if he has bananas it makes them radioactive.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I always enable all victory conditions.The ones I don't like I must defend against.
                            Best regards,

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva

That's what nukes are for!

Plus, if he has bananas it makes them radioactive.
                              I haven't used nukes in Civ4 yet. I suppose if they don't have SDI. What's the probablity of SDI defending against nukes?

In my present game pangea/standard/emperor/Japanese, it looks like I'll have no problem with an early domination win (before SS parts), so in retrospect, I could have enabled all conditions. Highlands is about one level harder than pangea, so that could call for more drastic measures.

Comment

Working...
                              X