Making Great People more immersive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Great People more immersive

It struck me that GP are very interchangable. Most of time, I don't even care who the GP is, just that I got one. I don't give a hoot when a GP is born somewhere else. I figured that it would be more interesting for a pop up to come up, showing who the GP is and having a history of that GP. Or if that's too intrusive, perhaps an entry in the Civilopedia.

Great People have been huge throughout history. We still read Aristotle today. I think it would add to the game if their histories were in the game so you read up on the GP you've just gotten.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Yeah, but then people will complain that they are being born at the wrong time. And possibly nation. =)
    Fitz. (n.) Old English
    1. Child born out of wedlock.
    2. Bastard.

Comment

That's ok . Same thing happens with wonders, right?

Speaking of which, a popup after the movie explaining the history of the wonder would be very cool as well.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Even just a hotlink to the Civlopedia entry would be fine for me.
        www.neo-geo.com

Comment

It appears you already made this complaint :

"You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
          Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

I felt it deserved its own thread .

Especially since most GP are so... forgettable. Something that indicates WHY they have been chosen as a GP would be nice. We know why Wonders are Wonders. We don't know why some GP are GP (especially some of the East Asian ones for us Westerners).

Comment

While not a full flegded history, there is a mod that gives a picture and quote of a Great Person when he/she is born.
              "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
              "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
              Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Interesting... I'll have to search for it.

Comment

No need.

GreatPersonModwithRenamerMod Name: GreatPersonModwithRenamerMod Version: 1.0 Release Date: 5-21-06 Author: Patricius and TheLopez Short Description: Whenever a great person, such as a great artist or prophet is born in any of YOUR cities, a window will popup, showing you a picture and a...
                  "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Brilliant!!

Thanks Bill!

Comment

Hehe, no prob.

Comment

It should be in the vanilla game though, IMHO.
                        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Ah yes, that would be a good idea. Ideas placed within the vanilla game sure does give them a sense of authencity, doesn't it? Well, remember that a mod had already been added to the vanilla game (the score mod), so I have to say that we have more luck than ever to have our ingenuity added to the vanilla game.

Comment

Yeah, Firaxis really has got into the right track.
                            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

All I can say is that Civ has the best mod community out there . Some really good stuff has come out of it and I can only imagine what we'll be seeing when Firaxis releases the SDK .

Comment

Working...
                              X