Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A request....

Could someone please post a save of a "bad start?"

I'm working on another "Devel's Workshop" example, and I'd like to do one with a bad (or at least not compelling) opening position.

For these games, please make them Epic speed (good compromise speed to see the game mechanics in action), and Monarch level (good teaching level).

I appreciate it! I've been sitting here re-starting for an hour now, and can't GET a bad/sub-par start! (how's that for a switch...restarting to TRY to get a bad start!). So...if anyone happens to run across one, I'd appreciate it!

-=Vel=-
    The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Hah try Highlands, I reckon there's a good 40% chance of getting a rotten start.

edit: to keep it interesting you might want to up the civ count by 2-3 civs.

Comment

Vel, you know what alt+w does right (or ctrl+w, one of those combos... )

Make yourself a bad start with the world builder... save ya alot of time.
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

RE: Highlander maps - Don't really like 'em, cos it changes the "physics" of the game too much....no world wrap, chessboard playing area...not my thing. May have to tho....

RE: WorldBuilder. *Gasps!* But then I'd know the lay of the land before I started!

-=Vel=-
        The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Yes that does ruin the exploration aspect if you let your eye wander. But for your purposes, you can pretend you didnt... =)
          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

Good point. Well, I'm a stubborn bastard, so I'll keep trying random starts for a while yet, but if I get fed up with it, I'll keep the world builder in mind!

-=Vel=-

Comment

Plausible deniability.

Comment

Re: A request....

Originally posted by Velociryx
                Could someone please post a save of a "bad start?"
                Well, you could pick one of these 3. I /think/ I included everything

Admittedly they're not as bad as I was initially thinking (& had generated five times in a row prior to seeing your ideas request), but they may do for something to play with..

They're all randomly generated other than the maps

[EDIT] that last bit didn't come out quite as I meant it - the maps I've uploaded here /are/ randomly generated, but you can't set the Custom section to generate random maps (world types), so the first is one map (world type); the second on another.. etc IYSWIM [/EDIT]
                Attached Files
                Last edited by snafuc4; January 21, 2006, 19:34.
                Dom 8-)

Comment

Here's a nice bad start for you.. I made it myself. Well, try it... I don't think it's exactly impossible... but tough.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Twistedsaint
                    Here's a nice bad start for you.. I made it myself.
                    It's a bit contrived though, for what's meant to be a random starting position - pmail me for more details (I wouldn't want to spoil the surprise for others)
                    Last edited by snafuc4; January 21, 2006, 19:41.
                    Dom 8-)

Comment

Yes, it is very contrived. It's meant to be. I guess the idea is, if you can deal with that start, you can deal with anything the randomizer is going to give you.

Comment

I didn't look at it beyond the tiles I could see from the opening shot...two flood plains and crabs? Looks pretty good to me.

-=Vel=-

Comment

On most map types starts are rigged to be good. It's only on the more exotic map scripts that you get genuinely bad starts.

Comment

Vel, try an Ice Age type map; that greatly increases your chance of a poor start since the lush and cushy habitable areas occupy less square milleage, but the world otherwise obeys the physics of a standard civ world. I've had quite a few interesting Ice Age games where the competing civs had to "make do" with signifigantly less land-wise.
                            "I wake. I work. I sleep. I die. The dark of space my only sky. My life is passed, and all I've been will never touch the earth again." --The Ballad of Sky Farm 3, Anonymous, Datalinks

Comment

Going to make some now. What leader and general map settings (continents, custom continents, pangaea, lakes, etc) would you prefer, Vel?

Comment

Working...
                              X