Best Settings for Huge Terra Map Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Settings for Huge Terra Map Game

I am on a 3.2GHz P4 machine with 1GB RAM and ATI 9800Pro 128MB card. With the latest 1.52 patch, which settings and options would be optimized for the quickest, smoothest game?

I've tried max settings and it seems ok so far but I doubt this will work for long when into the modern era.

What setting is "best" for playing a Huge Terra map game?

I play on max settings, but the lower you put them the faster and smoother it should run. Try finishing your game on max first, because if your computer can handle it then its worth it.
    "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
    Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

Man I'm envious! My computer will only let me play on Standard maps.

Comment

I just got a new one so *250GBHD* I'm not going *RADEONX600* to parade my *DUAL3GHZPROCESSORS* specs *19"LCDSCREEN* around *2GBRAM* here.
        "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
        Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

grrr @ axxaer

i have roughly half that... still, it runs mostly fine.

interesting thing though. I noticed that wonder movies run better on small maps

on large maps the movies get a little stuttering...
          Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

Originally posted by LzPrst

interesting thing though. I noticed that wonder movies run better on small maps

on large maps the movies get a little stuttering...
            Well, that´s not surprising really. Big maps claim a lot more GPU resources than small maps.

@polypheus "best" settings are a matter of opinion. On a huge map the lag is pretty significant on my system which is very much like yours (I have a 256 Mb GeForce 6600 instead of your ATI).
            I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Zoidberg

Well, that´s not surprising really. Big maps claim a lot more GPU resources than small maps.

@polypheus "best" settings are a matter of opinion. On a huge map the lag is pretty significant on my system which is very much like yours (I have a 256 Mb GeForce 6600 instead of your ATI).
              I have a 2.8 w/1G of ram, but Niv 6600 w128 megs. In my first 18 civs on Huge, I crashed to DT twice in the late game. No lag whatsoever. I may buy another 6600 or 6800 with 256.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph
                I crashed to DT twice in the late game. No lag whatsoever.
                That's right it crashed immediately, no delay whatsoever.

Comment

Well, that´s good thing isn´t it?

Joseph, it might be the extra 128 Mb of graphics RAM that does it, it might be something else entirerly. Troubleshooting this game is like walking through a minefield where the mines keep moving around
                  I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Zoidberg
                    Well, that´s good thing isn´t it?

Joseph, it might be the extra 128 Mb of graphics RAM that does it, it might be something else entirerly. Troubleshooting this game is like walking through a minefield where the mines keep moving around
                    You got it. When I said no delay, I was talking about the game. Every thing runs very smooth. But then in a momement, it did crash. Restarted the game and had no problems the rest of that night. Next night, I play for an hour or two before it crashed.

Comment

Working...
                    X