Weird AI - Spain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird AI - Spain

It was myself, one human, and three AI. One of the AI was Spain. I gave her countless Techs for Free, and lots of troops when she was attacked.. I could only get a +1 at best. The other two AI civs were Pleased with me and I had a +6 on one of them.

Towards the end of the match, I had destroyers, infantry, etc.., and Spain had Galleys and Longbowman. I even had Open Borders with her for thousands of years!! Yet out of nowhere, she declared war on me. My opponent swears he did not bribe her. I look and I see a line that says something like "-5 for war" .., as if I started it. Just did not make sense.

What am I missing here? Are there some civilizations that just cannot be reached.., or is there a random factor or something that caused this?

Thanks in advance

Re: Weird AI - Spain

Originally posted by gmsh1964
    It was myself, one human, and three AI. One of the AI was Spain.
    Does that make four players or five?

My opponent swears he did not bribe her.
    That's where the AI seems to have an advantage - they KNOW if someone has gone to war on a bribe and who bribed them.
    "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
    Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

Let me guess... You had a different state religion than Spain?

Isabella HATES heathens. If you'll share her religion, she'll love you, if not, she'll want your head on a stake. Bribes/gifts/kind words will only hold back that overwhealming heathen-head-on-a-stake desire for a little while.

Though there certainly are differences in how the AI's of diffent leaders act - Montezuma for example, is notorious for starting wars for little or no reason. That's why, if I start next to Monty, I'll ALWAYS build an early army and take him out of the game. Though being located on the other side of the world doesn't stop Monty from starting a war with you either.

Isabella can stab you in the back, I've found, though she is much less eratic than Monty, and usually no trouble if you share her religion.
      Only the most intelligent, handsome/beautiful denizens of apolyton may join the game :)

Comment

Both of you are right on.., there were some religion issues. But is that written somewhere? I assume it is not, but that was the problem.

Comment

Both of you are right on.., there were some religion issues. But is that written somewhere? I assume it is not, but that was the problem.
          If you look at the modifiers for the AIs' attitudes towards you, you'll notice that religion is often the biggest factor, positive or negative. Civics also play a large role, and Isabella's favorite civic (the one she'll like you for having, disdain you for not using) is Police State, a fairly specialized civic whose cost keeps many human players away from it.

Also, each AI has preset randomness modifiers. These determine the likelihood that they will declare war, deny a trade, etc. But I believe they also determine their reaction to their own attitude modifiers.

Thus, not only does Isabella place a uniquely high value on common confession, she is exceptionally likely to act on that value. It did not take long for players to realize that Isabella is the game's crusader personality.

Lastly, although i haven't seen this in the XML yet, most info from Soren and others suggests that the AI is encouraged to play King of the Hill. That is, they attempt to knock whoever's in the score lead off their perch (not unlike standard competitive behavior among humans). If you were so far ahead of her, Isabella's modifiers tell her, "There's nothing left to do but hurt those who are about to beat you."

Certainly not the most admirable human tendency to loan a machine, but realistic, nonetheless.
          "The human race would have perished long ago if its preservation had depended only on the reasoning of its members." - Rousseau
          "Vorwärts immer, rückwärts nimmer!" - Erich Honecker
          "If one has good arms, one will always have good friends." - Machiavelli

Comment

Isabella's haughty/spoiled personality is the ONE I love to hate. Give me an opportunity and I will decline all trade relations or open borders with her, join any alliance against her, or invade her myself.

Comment

One of the strategies that has taken me longest to get a grip on has not been Great People or the promotions system but the attitude modifiers.

Religion and civics can determine which camp you'll find yourself in, and a change in either can radically affect your geopolitical dynamics. Often, all the niceness and fairness in the world will not make up for practicing the "wrong" faith or exploiting a distasteful civic.

I've found that, especially at higher levels and longer games, it's important to know what your neighbors' favorite civics are. Religion is more obvious, since it's displayed on the score list, but knowing the difference between Isabella's and Elizabeth's levels of tolerance can decide a game for you.
              "The human race would have perished long ago if its preservation had depended only on the reasoning of its members." - Rousseau
              "Vorwärts immer, rückwärts nimmer!" - Erich Honecker
              "If one has good arms, one will always have good friends." - Machiavelli

Comment

Weird Al - Yankovich.
                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

And thank you for that informative commentary Lord Shiva.
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

Working...
                  X