Could someone confirm this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could someone confirm this?

One of my problems is that, given my slow/builder nature, the game ends way too quickly. I'm just beginning to tech up to a high level and plan on doing some war, and *bam*, its really close to 2050 (or whatever the year the game ends).

Does Epic and/or Marathon speed actually give you more turns, or simply slow down researching?
    It's a CB.
    --
    SteamID: rampant_scumbag

It also gives you more turns, in a similar proportion to the rate the cost increases are applied.

Comment

I only played part of one marathon, but i don't think it is going to solve your problem.

It kinda takes your typical game play and just drags it out through each age longer.

So, if you tend to take very long to get modern, then my guess is that it will just take you very VERY long.

And in the end, you will probably still have the same problem.

this is just a guess, since, as i said, I have only played part of a marathon game.
      While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

Originally posted by vee4473
        this is just a guess, since, as i said, I have only played part of a marathon game.
        That's true. Marathon plays out just like a normal game except that everything takes longer to do. My first game I was starting to research Future Tech 1 when 2050 rolled along.

Comment

Re: Could someone confirm this?

Originally posted by EternalSpark
          One of my problems is that, given my slow/builder nature, the game ends way too quickly. I'm just beginning to tech up to a high level and plan on doing some war, and *bam*, its really close to 2050 (or whatever the year the game ends).
          Sounds to me like you're just not researching enough. Maybe you're expanding too quickly?

Comment

Courthouses, Libraries, Monasteries and a few Cottage-spam science cities usually do the trick. I'm usually not short on science, though I tend to run the slider at around 50-60% with double the cities.

Comment

Re: Re: Could someone confirm this?

Sounds to me like you're just not researching enough. Maybe you're expanding too quickly?
              Nah, that's not the problem - I'm at the head of the tech race - quite far ahead. My standard playstyle is to tech up rapidly, and then crush any attractive nearby enemies with an unstoppable force.

I'm used to Borehore-Fueled Yang, which got me used to not attacking unless I'm 2 or 3 levels higher. By the time I get to that in Civ 4 - carving up my enemies with fliers and tanks - its close to 2050.

I've been playing a Marathon game, and the only 'problem' I'm having is that everything constructs so slowly. I went in knowing about it, but jeez.

If I could apply the # of turns in a Marathon game to Normal build production, I'd be in heaven.
              It's a CB.
              --

Comment

Played my last game on Monarch (huge/marathon) and was into space by 1976. If i'd have been any slower I would have lost the game because my spies were telling me two other civs were only a turn or two behind me.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Could someone confirm this?

Originally posted by EternalSpark

If I could apply the # of turns in a Marathon game to Normal build production, I'd be in heaven.
                  Agreed. But my suggestion would be a little different: epic build production and marathon research, with marathon lenght (# of turns). We would be able to actually build units and use them.
                  RIAA sucks
                  The Optimistas
                  I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Could someone confirm this?

Originally posted by Aro

Agreed. But my suggestion would be a little different: epic build production and marathon research, with marathon lenght (# of turns). We would be able to actually build units and use them.
                    But that's exactly how it is, at least for units. The game is 3x as long as Normal, but the unit build times are only 2x. Everything else is 3x though.

Comment

And how about Epic? How is it?
                      RIAA sucks
                      The Optimistas
                      I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

I believe it's twice as long as Normal. Don't quote me on that though. Since Marathon has been available, that's all I play.

Comment

Marathon =
                          "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
                          Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Axxaer
                            Marathon =
                            In more ways than one
                            Attached Files
                            It's a CB.
                            --

Comment

Given Normal as 100, Epic is 150 & Marathon 300.
                              Unit Training: 100, 125 & 200.

Comment

Working...
                              X